The Tata Sons Ltd. (Hindi: टाटा समूह, Tata samūh ) is a 1870 founded by Jamshedji Tata parsing of Indian conglomerate headquartered in Mumbai. In honor of the founder of the city of Jamshedpur was named after him. Tata employs more than 350,000 employees. The companies have offices in 85 countries. For the Tata Group comprises 98 companies.
The Tata Group of Jamshedji Tata, in 1869 a bankrupt oil mill took over and turned it into a spinning mill was established. Two years later he sold the mill at a great profit. In 1874, he founded a cotton mill in Nagpur. This provided the nucleus of the later Tata Group dar.
1903 opened he built the Taj Mahal hotel in Mumbai.
After the death of the company founder in 1904, his sons Dorabji and Ratan Tata took over the business. They created, among other things, a steel company - Tata Steel today - and a power company - now Tata Power.
Was further expanded the conglomerate under Jehangir Ratanji Dadabhoy, who held the presidency from 1938 to 1991. Under his aegis, the number of firms increased under the umbrella of the Tata group from 14 to 90
As of 1991, Ratan Tata took over as chairman. Under his leadership, the group pushed for a consistent internationalization. The conglomerate acquired international firms or entered with already owned company into new markets.
2012 Ratan Tata handed over the chair to Cyrus Pallonji Mistry. This is the first president who did not come from the Tata family.
The Tata Group is divided into the areas of metal industry, automobiles, telecommunications, software industry and tourism. A former company, which was part of the Tata Group, Tata Airlines was nationalized in 1953 and forerunner of the national airline Air India was. The following companies and brands are bundled into these groups:
Metal processing and vehicle
- Tata Motors, which emerged from the locomotive manufacturer TELCO ( TATA Engineering and Locomotive Company ), is a vehicle manufacturer to the March 2008 include the brands Land Rover and Jaguar
- Tata autocompensation Systems Ltd ( TACO ) manufactures automotive components in the context of joint ventures with numerous foreign automotive suppliers
- Tata Projects
- TCE Consulting Engineers
- TAL Manufacturing Solutions
- Telco Construction Equipment Company
Raw material processing
- Tata Steel (formerly TISCO, Tata Iron and Steel Company Ltd. ) was India's first iron and steel processing company. His main works are located in Jamshedpur, has its head office in Mumbai.
- Tata Advanced Materials
- Tata Tinplate
- Tata Power is one of the largest private power producer in India and powered Mumbai.
- Rallis India
- Tata Chemicals
- Tata Pigments
- The Indian Hotels Company
- Tata AIG General Insurance
- Tata AIG Life Insurance
- Tata Asset Management
- Tata Financial Services
- Tata Investment Corporation
- Tata Share Registry
- Tata Economic Consultancy Services
- Tata Quality Management Services
- Tata Strategic Management Group ( TSMG ) is one of the largest consulting companies in South Asia.
- Tata Services
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Tata Tea Limited is the second largest manufacturer of packaged tea world. The company owns the Tetley brand, under which it is sold mainly in Europe tea.
- Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company
- Titan Industries manufacturer of Titanium watches
- Trent ( Westside )
- Tata Ceramics
- Himalayan Water ( mineral water), part of the Tata Group
- Tata Salt
Information and communication technology
- Computational Research Laboratories (CRL ): uses the supercomputer EKA
- Tata Interactive Systems, E -learning and business simulation games
- Tata Elxsi software manufacturer in Bangalore. One of the leading companies in the entertainment industry in India.
- Nelito system
- Tata Infotech
- Tata Technologies Limited
- Tata Teleservices
- VSNL, a large Indian telecommunications company that was acquired in 2002.
- Tata Consultancy Services
Tata operates the following educational institutions:
- "Tata Institute of Science " renamed today in Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
- Tata Management Training Centre, Pune, India
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences
- National Centre for the Performing Arts