Tre Fontane Abbey
Monastery Casanova ( Abruzzo ) Monastery Arabona Monastery of Santa Maria de caritate Convent of Sant'Agostino di Montalto Convent of Santa Maria di Palazzolo Convent of Santa Maria di Ponza
The monastery of Tre Fontane is a Cistercian monastery in Rome ( since 1868 the Strict Observance ). It is located in Via Acque Salvie in a used from Via Laurentina little valley outside the walls not far from the EUR district, originally planned for the World's Fair Esposizione Universale di Roma 1942 provided modern administrative center of Rome.
The tradition of the plant is to reach back to the first century AD: In Tre Fontane said to have been beheaded in the year 67, the apostle Paul. Over the centuries, here are three churches, namely SS Vincenzo e Anastasio emerged ( by Pope Honorius I. founded 625 ), S. Maria Scala Coeli ( founded in the 12th century ) and St. Paul from the 5th century. In the 7th century, Greek and Armenian monks settled in Tre Fontane, later, among other things, a Cluniac branch. The monks were expelled but probably of malaria. Pope Innocent II donated the monastery of the Cistercians; this is against the will of St.. Bernard of Clairvaux be done, the Rome had held for a " spelunca latronum ". 1140 based monks from Clairvaux Abbey Primary under Abbot Bernardo Paganelli, of 1145 Pope Eugene III. was chosen the monastery. In the following period went from the abbey produced several cardinals.
Because of malaria, the monks were initially forced to spend the summer at the castle Nemi. From Tre Fontane went from six subsidiaries were founded: Monastery Casanova ( Abruzzo ), Arabona monastery, Monastery of Santa Maria de caritate, Monastery of Sant'Agostino di Montalto, Convent of Santa Maria di Palazzolo, and Monastery of Santa Maria di Ponza. The reconstruction of the abbey was only completed in 1221. At the beginning of the 15th century, the abbey fell into coming. In the turmoil of the Napoleonic period, the abbey took place in 1808, 1810 or 1812 come to an end ( the details differ ). In 1826 it was occupied by Franciscans and since 1868 there is a Trappist. For the re-establishment of the monastery as a Trappist monk in particular Franz Pfanner was responsible, who later founded the Missionaries of Mariannhill in South Africa and the Missionary Sisters of the Precious Blood.
Plant and buildings
The facility to SS Vinzenzo e Anastasio shows the image of a normal Cistercian system, but compared to the typical arrangement (as well as in Maulbronn ) reversed, ie with the exam left ( north ) of the church. This is a three-aisled basilica with open roof, a short transept with two chapels in the east and a rectangular choir. The exam shows no special features ( chapter house in the east, the refectory in the north). Off the west facade of the church is a portico. The other two churches dating from the end of 16./Anfang of the 17th century. The entrance portal is named after Charles the Great.