Trelew is a city in the northeast of the province of Chubut in southern Argentina. The town lies in the valley of the Río Chubut 25 km west of the Atlantic coast and has 99 430 inhabitants ( INDEC the census, 2010).
Trelew belongs administratively as well as the provincial capital Rawson to the same department, this has, however, overtaken in population and economic importance for a long time and is now the second largest city of the province to Comodoro Rivadavia. Trelew is one of the Welsh settlements in the valley of the Río Chubut, which were founded in the 19th century.
The city of Trelew it has a temperate and dry climate, but suffers from permanent southerly winds.
- In the winter months ( June 21 to September 21 ) the temperatures vary between 0 ° C and 15 ° C, the perceived temperature from -3 to 12 ° C.
- In the spring ( 21 September to 21 December ) and autumn ( March 21-June 21 ) vary the temperatures between 10 and 20 ° C.
- In summer ( December 21 to March 21 ) the temperatures rise up to 38 ° C.
Trelew was created by immigrants from Wales who came late 19th century in the Argentinean Patagonia and wanted to combine the new with the golf valley with the construction of a railroad. The landing of the settlers is celebrated each 28 July with a festival. The immigrants from Wales were Protestants, yet because of various faiths in the course of time more than 30 chapels originated. Thus the oldest building in town, the chapel Tabernacl. It was built in the first half of the year in 1889 by the Methodist Calvinist Church. The interior woodwork is from the period around 1910.
In January 1886, the contract was signed with that company that would take over the construction of the railway line. Immediately thereafter, the builders, Lewis Jones and Thomas Davies began with the construction. Lewis Jones was the main initiator of the construction of the railway and was, as a consequence, even those personality, which was due to the regional economic development. So the name of the village was Trelew ( Tre = village and the name Lew Lewis) in honor of that citizen, who drove the development of the colony forward.
The former train station in 1889 marked the beginning of economic development. Today he is a national historic monument and the seat of the Regional Museum " Pueblo de Luis". From here, the agricultural products were brought to Puerto Madryn, where they were shipped.
The city is best known as agro- industrial center of importance. The valley of the Río Chubut is fertile and is mainly used for fruit production. Also important is the trade in which Trelew acts as a supply center for the entire region. Trelews airport is also a major transportation hub in central Patagonia.
- Paleontological Museum Egidio Feruglio
- Trelew is the starting point for a visit to the penguins at Punta Tombo, or sea lions, elephant seals and whales at Peninsula Valdes.
- The OMEGA transmission tower Trelew was until 1997 part of the Omega navigation method and with 366 meters the tallest structure in Latin America.