Brown went in 1869 to the University of Leipzig, his habilitation in 1874, received in 1877 as an associate professor and worked since 1880 as a professor of German language and literature in Giessen. He is considered an important representative of the neo-grammarians.
- Investigations of Heinrich von Veldeke, Halle / Saale in 1873.
- For information of the Franconian and High German consonant shift, Halle / Saale, 1874.
- About the quantity of final syllables Old High German, Halle / Saale in 1875.
- Gothic grammar. With a few pieces of reading and word list, 1st Edition Halle / Saale in 1880; 9th edition Halle / Saale, 1920 ( last edition hand; continued under Charles Helm, Ernst Albrecht Ebbinghaus and Frank Heider 's ).
- Old High German grammar, 1st Edition Halle / Saale in 1886; 3rd edition Halle / Saale, 1925 ( last edition hand; continued under Charles Helm, Walther Mitzka, Hans Eggers and Ingo Reiffenstein ).
- Demolition of the Old High German Grammar: With consideration of the Old Saxon ( 3rd edition Halle / Saale, 1900)
- Old High German reading book, 1st edition Halle / Saale in 1875; 8th edition Halle / Saale, 1921 ( last edition hand; continue under Charles Helm and Ernst A. Ebbinghaus ).
- Contributions to the history of the German language and literature. , 1873, together with Hermann Paul.
- Reprints German Litteraturwerke the 16th and 17th century, from 1876, continued under Ernst Beutler.