Wilmersdorf is a hamlet in the district of Charlottenburg- Wilmersdorf of Berlin. The historical core of Old -Wilmersdorf situated on the road Wilhelmsaue. Until the merger with the former district of Charlottenburg in 2001, there was an independent Wilmersdorf district in the western part of Berlin. This included the present-day districts Hallensee, Schmargendorf, Grunewald and the eponymous district of Wilmersdorf.
- 3.1 Rail transport
- 3.2 private transport
- 4.1 sacral buildings
- 4.2 Other points of interest
- 4.3 schools
- 4.4 Youth Services
- 4.5 Stumbling Blocks
Wilmersdorf situated on the plateau of the Teltow in the southwest of today's Berlin. It is bordered to the north by the district of Charlottenburg, on the west by the districts Hallensee and Schmargendorf, on the south by the district of Steglitz- Zehlendorf, belonging districts Steglitz ( Breitenbachplatz and south sides of Kreuznacher road) and Dahlem and on the east by the district of Tempelhof- Schöneberg belonging districts Friedenau ( on Rheingauviertel ) and Schöneberg.
The foundation was probably after 1220 in the wake of the country's development of young Mark Brandenburg, called the askanischen Margrave settlers into the country in order to stabilize. A village of the Slavic Vorbevölkerung has probably failed here. 1293 Wilmerstorff was first mentioned.
The settlers from Swabia, Thuringia, Flanders and Westphalia lived by farming and fishing in the lake Wilmersdorf, who belonged to the Pleistocene glacial trough the Grunewaldseenkette and was filled in 1915 after lengthy sedimentation processes. After changing ownership Wilmersdorf became a princely Dominalgut while Schmargendorf fell to the family of Wilmersdorf. Extensive sheep farms were long central to the work.
Million farmers in the period of
Middle of the 18th century acquired the first Berlin the rapidly growing city and country farmhouses in " German -Wilmersdorf " and taught summer seats in the Wilhelmsaue one, the original village, which lies today between Mehlitz and Blissestraße. Land speculators, building investors, as well as the need of space Berliner Ring Railway bought the mid-19th century, several large-scale farmers from their fields, which were received thanks to the unexpected windfall as millions of peasants in the story of how the families Gieseler and Mehlitz.
Including Otto Schramm, who established a reputation as a seaside resort Wilmersdorf Wilmersdorf with the bathhouse at the lake (see below) and the famous dance palace Schramm. With the filling up of the lake, this era ended on the Seegelände developed sports fields that were involved in the 1920s in the greenbelt park Wilmersdorf. This urban green space in the formerly marshy lowlands ( Fenn ) ranges from neighboring Schöneberg Rudolph Wilde Park on the Fennsee to the city ring. Was on the grounds of the bathhouse 1925-1928 by architect Jürgen Bachmann called the " Schramm block " built. The residential complex with one of the first underground parking houses with courtyard terraces and front gardens fills the entire square between the streets on public park, Schrammstrasse, Hildegardstraße and Livonian road in a Gebäudezug.
The historical core: Wilhelmsaue
Another million farming family, the family Blisse ( namesake of the Blissestraße ), allowed in 1911 with a foundation over three million gold marks the construction of an orphanage, the " Blissestift " in the Wilhelmsaue. The historical building today, various community amenities are housed, among other things, a school club and a day care facility.
Likewise, in the Wilhelmsaue is the Auenkirche from 1895 to 1897. The neo-Gothic three-nave brick building with the colored Christ mosaic above the entrance is by Max Spitta and replaced the old Wilmersdorferstrasse village church from 1772, whose predecessor, the fire of 1766 fell victim. In the Wilhelmsaue 126, the oldest house in Wilmersdorf, the Scholer - castle dating from 1752, which - as the subsequent small Schoelerpark - the name of its last resident, the ophthalmologist and Medizinalrates Heinrich Scholer ( 1844-1918 ) bears.
As a district of Berlin
In the 19th century the village became common for the designation German Wilmersdorf to distinguish Maerkisch Wilmersdorf Wilmersdorf and Wendish. On April 1, 1906, the municipality of municipal law and the official name German -Wilmersdorf received. By April 1, 1907 retired German -Wilmersdorf out of the Teltow and became an independent city circle. The first and only mayor, and after 1909 also was mayor Ernst Habermann ( 1866-1958 ), who had already held the post of community leader since 1897, and later the namesake of the Habermann square was.
From 1912, the city introduced the name Berlin -Wilmersdorf. On 1 October 1920, the city was incorporated into Greater Berlin, she had then already 139 468 inhabitants.
The district had in the time of the Weimar Republic a strong Jewish population, in 1933 it amounted to 13.5%. For high school students, 30% of the Jewish faith, there were five Jewish private schools. Many well-known artists and writers lived in Wilmersdorf, among others, George Grosz, Egon Erwin Kisch, Heinrich Mann, Anna Seghers and Arnold Zweig. At the 1922 in the King Avenue in Grunewald murdered by right-wing Foreign Minister Walter Rathenau there a memorial stone.
The Jewish community held its first worship services in private synagogues from 1929 a large community synagogue was built in the Prince Regent Street, which provided space for 2300 visitors. The building was destroyed in the so-called " Kristallnacht " from November 9 to 10 1938 by SA troops in part, the remains of the building were demolished in 1958. At the homes located here today commemorated by a plaque on the Wilmersdorf synagogue.
The district Wilmersdorf left in 1991 to create a memorial at the Grunewald Train Station Karol Broniatowski, reminiscent of the Berlin Jews who were deported from here from 1941 with trains of the Reichsbahn.
In Wilmersdorf metro stations of the U9
- Berliner Straße and
- Federal court
As well as the metro stations of line U3
- Hohenzollern court,
- Heidelberger Platz and
- Rüdesheim place.
The line crosses the paths of the U7 lines U3 and U9 and holds in Wilmersdorf in the following subway stations:
- Constance Street,
- Blissestraße and
- Berliner Straße.
The S-Bahn trains of the Ring Bahn lines S41, S42 and S46 stick to Wilmersdorferstrasse following stations:
- Hohenzollern Damm,
- Heidelberger Platz (former railway station Berlin- Schmargendorf ) and
- Federal court (until 1993 meant that station Berlin -Wilmersdorf, before to 1938 Berlin- Wilmersdorf Friedenau ).
While the S - Bahnhof Berlin -Wilmersdorf as the underlying Metro Station on line U9 now also means federal court since the date of reopening of the southern ring road on 17 December 1993, was at the district border to Friedenau between the suburban railway stations in Innsbruck space and Federal Square, the freight station Berlin- Wilmersdorf abandoned in the 1970s.
A busy connection through Wilmersdorf is the section of the city highway 100, which, between junctions 14 - Schmargendorf (formerly interchange Wilmersdorf), and 17 - Innsbruck place runs. At junction 14, the former A 104 leads south to Steglitz. She is on a section of a feeder of the A 100 and overbuilt to Schlangenbader residential street. Other major arteries in Wilmersdorf
- The Federal Avenue,
- The Hohenzollern Damm,
- The Südwestkorso,
- The Wiesbaden road and
- The Mecklenburg Street.
See also: List of streets and squares in Berlin- Wilmersdorf
- This was completed in 1930 St. Gertrauden hospital received 1945 stained glass and an apse mosaic of Charles Crodel and supplements of 1973.
- The motorway overbuilding Schlangenbader road is unique worldwide. It dates from the time of the insularity of West Berlin in the 1970s and was the attempt to use the scarce downtown areas rationally.
- Old Lutheran church Holy Cross, built in 1907-1908 by Heinrich Straumer
- Evangelical Lord's Prayer Church, built in 1959-1961, designed by Werner March
- Evangelical Auenkirche, neo-Gothic brick building from 1895 to 1897
- First Church of Christ, Christian Science in the Wilhelmsaue 112
- Evangelical Church of the Hohenzollern court, built in 1930-1933 by Fritz Hoger and Ossip Klarwein in the style of northern German Brick Expressionism
- Roman Catholic Church of Saint Louis on Ludwigkirchplatz, built in 1897
- Russian Orthodox Cathedral
- Wilmersdorferstrasse Mosque ( historically: Berlin Mosque )
- Synagogue Prinzregentenstraße (destroyed)
- Synagogue Münstersche road
- Roman Catholic Holy Cross Church in Hildegardstraße 3a, built 1910-1912
- St. Peter church of the Fraternity of St. Pius X at Breitenbachplatz, built 2001 to 2005
- Christian 's Church, Church of the Lutheran Danish Church Abroad
Evangelical Auenkirche, Wilhelmsaue
Evangelical Church of the Hohenzollern court
Bells Collection for ev Hohenzollern Church ( February 1932 )
St. Louis Catholic Church
Additional points of interest
- Schaubühne place
- Ensemble of Behördenbauten on Fehrbellinerplatz from the 1930s and 1940s
- Office building of the German pension insurance
- Artist colony
- Rheingau district around Rüdesheim place
Buddy Bear circumnavigator, Paris street 47
Fountain on the Ruedesheimer Place (Detail: Siegfried, the Ross -hand drive)
- Annie Heuser school ( Waldorf School ), Eisenzahnstraße 37
- Birger Forell - Primary School, Koblenz 22-24
- Cecilien Elementary School, Nikolsburger place 5
- Comenius School (primary school and school for children with learning difficulties ), Gieselerstraße 4
- Hanns Fechner Elementary School, Gieselerstraße 4 (after closing in 2003 taken over by the neighboring Comenius school)
- Ernst -Habermann primary school, Babelsberg road 24/25
- Finkenkrug School ( school for mentally disabled), Mannheimer Straße 21/22
- Friedrich- Ebert- secondary school (gymnasium ), Blissestraße 22
- Goethe -Gymnasium, Gastein Road 23
- Primary school at Rüdesheim place Ruedesheimer road 24-30
- Johann- Peter-Hebel - primary school, Emser Straße 50
- Johannes School in Berlin ( Waldorf School ), Federal Allee 38
- Catherine Hein Roth Elementary School, Münstersche road 15-17 (2002 created by amalgamation of Michael - Grzimek and the Paul Eipper Primary School )
- Catholic School of Saint Louis ( elementary school ), Diisseldorferstrasse 13
- Clarify Bloch school ( vocational high school), Prinzregentenstraße 60
- Marie Curie High School (Gymnasium), Weimarische road 21
- Nelson Mandela (Gesamtschule ), Pfalzburger road 23
- Otto -von- Guericke- secondary school (Realschule), Eisenzahnstraße 47/48
- Peter A. Silbermann school ( night school ), Blissestraße 22
- Robert Jungk high school ( Gesamtschule ), Saxon Road 58
- Rudolf-Diesel- secondary school (Hauptschule), Prince Regent Street 33/34
- Swedish school in Berlin (Svenska skolan i Berlin), Country House 26-28
From 1980 to 2000, the county ( department head youth) operated the nationally known youth counseling JOKER.
Stumbling blocks for Hildegard, Betty and Erika Blum front of the house Güntzelstrasse 49
Stumbling block to Frieda Prince front of the house Constance Street 55