Alberton (Prince Edward Island)
Alberton is located a Canadian city in the western part of Prince County in the province of Prince Edward Iceland. Alberton is a service center for the local farming and fishing communities, bordering the municipality of North Port with her harbor. The town was founded in 1543 was a village since 1878 and carries since 1913 the city name.
The city has long been inhabited by the Mi'kmaq. The first Europeans arrived in 1534 Alberton with the French explorers Jacques Cartier. They went to the nearby Cape Kildare ashore. A few Acadians settled in the 17th and 18th centuries on the island. They moved to the great wave of deportations (late 1750s ) by the British military in large numbers only in the western part of the Ile -Saint -Jean, and particularly north of the present Alberton in the area of Tignish.
After the British victory over France in 1763 sovereignty was transferred to the Kingdom of Great Britain. 1765 led the kingdom once a feudal system. Today Alberton 1767 Edward Lewis, a British MPs awarded. Alberton was established in June 1788 as a small trading post. He was named " Lewistown ". The town was first settled by local Arcadians. In addition, the Scots and the inhabitants of Devonshire were settled in the place. The local shipping industry and the timber trade brought the city in the 1800s a boom.
The site has been renamed several times and the residential areas changed: Originally the town was founded at the location where there is now Northport. Today, the city is located 2 km to the west. By ship and timber industry was the place to a large commercial center in Prince County. On 27 June 1862, the city got its present name, which goes back to the Prince of Wales and future King Edward VII Albert.
Rail and other buildings
In 1872, Prince Edward Iceland Railway was built, which ended in Alberton. It combines Alberton, among others, O'Leary, Summerside, Charlottetown, Georgetown and Souris.
The railway line was extended later to Tignish. Due to the sharp turn a track triangle was necessary. The place was in 1878 a village and venue of courts in western Prince County.
Alberton was after 1894, the worldwide center silver fox industry. Charles Dalton and Robert Oulton began this year as the first successful breeding of silver foxes. In the early 1900s, the railway company built a new, built entirely of stone railway station. The only also entirely made of stone station of the island was Kensington. The fox industry brought a population and tax increase with it, so the place was collected from the village to the city in May 1913. The silver fox breeding remained until the 1940s profitable ( see article → silver fox fur ).
The public library was founded in 1951, opened the building of the federal government in 1962 and the municipal museum in 1964.
Alberton is approximately equidistant from Tignish and O'Leary. The city is located on the northern shore of the island on the St. Lawrence River. Their extent is 4.5 km ².
The majority of workers are employed in service Albertons.
The fishing industry in the adjacent North Port is an important economic pillar. She begins 3000 tonnes American lobster, clams, crabs Snow, Soft shellfish, cod, herring, American plaice, mackerel, scallops, yellowtail, eel, winter flounder, smelt, Atlantic Tomcod, Silverback, porbeagle and blue shark. Source: 1996, Department of Fisheries and Oceans ( DFO)
Agriculture in the area Albertons is determined by potato farmers. The potatoes are mainly used for French fries and potato chips.
The town has kindergartens and a primary school (234 students in six years courses ). Students will take the bus to the nearby ME Callaghan School ( 378 students, cohorts 7-9) and Westisle Composite High School ( 748 students, vintages 10-12) brought. There are also two vocational schools.
Alberton is located on Route 12, the part of the Lady Slipper Drive is. A few kilometers southwest of the city, the route 2, the Hauptwestostachse. The Port in North Port is managed by the small harbor section of the Canadian fish and seafood authority.
Alberton offers a variety of activities: aerobics, drawing lessons, craft fairs, bowling leagues, boxing club, darts, cards, karaoke, bingo, basketball, badminton, volleyball, hiking club, ice hockey, softball and soccer.
The city is located in the vicinity of three provincial parks: Mill River Provincial Park, Bloomfield Provincial Park and Jacques Cartier Provincial Park. The Confederation Trail for walking, running and cycling in the summer and cross-country skiing in winter is through the village. The site offers a variety of fishing ponds.
The Alberon Courthouse located since 1980, the Alberton Museum, which contains various collections to the environment. In the city park there is a monument to the pioneers of the silver fox breeding, Robert Oulton and Charles Dalton.
The Joe O'Brien museum is located just outside the city limits. Joe O'Brien, grew up in Alberton and became one of the most famous trotting racers. Trotting Horse Breeders Association Standardbred Canada named its annual award according to O'Brien.
The Prince County Fair is held every August. It includes livestock shows, food, races and a carnival. In February, the Alberton Winter Carnival takes place. Other events include Alberton Day Festival, the Canada Day and Trail Day.
The Journal Pioneer, a daily newspaper, is published in Summerside and maintains the office for the western part of Prince County in Alberton. The West Prince Graphic is a weekly newspaper that is distributed in the western part of Prince County and published locally. The Penny Saver is a bi-weekly appearing display sheet which is delivered to all residents of western Prince Edward Island.
- George H. Clark (1881-1956), American Collectors