Belmont Abbey, North Carolina
The Abbey Belmont- Mary Help of Christians (Latin Abbatia B. Mariae de Auxiliatricis Belmont ) was collected on 8 June 1910 in the rank of a Territorial Abbey and the Archdiocese of Baltimore assumed as suffragan. The abbey is part of the American Benedictine Congregation Cassinensischen and is located in Belmont (North Carolina).
With an area of 3340 km ², it encompassed the areas of Catawba, Cleveland, Burke, Lincoln, McDowell, Polk, Rutherford counties, Gaston County and Belmont. Having lost on April 17, 1944, all areas up to Belmont and Gaston County to the bishopric of Raleigh, she counted 710 Catholics in 1950 (0.6% ) in 5 parishes with 22 religious priests and 125 nuns.
When she had also lost to the bishopric of Raleigh in June 1962 Gaston County, she had only her own parish, the 550 Catholics were members ( 95.7 %) with two diocesan priests and 32 religious priests in 1966. 1977 also fell this parish of the Benedictine monastery, which now was still one of 27 religious priests, to the Diocese of Charlotte. Due to the loss of one's own territory the monastery lost ie the canonical status of a Territorial Abbey a particular church, and has since been normal Benedictine abbey.
- Leo Michael Haid, O.S.B. (1910-1924)
- Vincent George Taylor, O.S.B. (1924-1959)
- Walter Arthur Coggin, O.S.B. (1959-1970)
- Edmund F. McCaffrey, O.S.B. (1970-1975)
- Jew G. Cleary, O.S.B. (1975 -? )
- Oscar Burnett (1991-1999)
- Placid Solari (1999 -present)
See also: List of the Catholic dioceses