Bonilla de la Sierra
Bonilla de la Sierra is a North Spanish municipality ( municipio ) with 122 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013) in the province of Ávila in the Autonomous Community of Castile and León. The old center was classified as a cultural ( Bien de Interès Cultural ) in the category Conjunto histórico - artístico.
Bonilla de la Sierra is located at an altitude of about 1080 meters above sea level. inst on a hill above the Río Corneja in the Sierra de Gredos nearly 60 km ( driving distance ) southwest of the provincial capital Ávila; the city of Salamanca is about 75 km in a north-westerly direction away.
The agriculture, especially livestock, traditionally plays the largest role in the economy of the small mountain community. A little tourism in the form of the rental of apartments ( casas rurales ) has been added in the last decades.
Two rock caves with altars from prehistoric times, which could be reached by steps hewn into the rock, were discovered at the end of the 20th century in the vicinity of the place. Romans, Visigoths and Arabs and Berbers left no traces. After the re- colonization ( repoblación ) of the territory between the rivers Duero and Tajo in the 11th and 12th centuries Bonilla ( bonna villa) belonged to the diocese of Ávila. Bishop Lope de Barrientos, who built the castle in the early 15th century, which served as a secluded retreat and a guesthouse in the subsequent period.
- The main attraction of Bonilla the old village center built around the main square, with its small streets and the adjoining half-timbered or stone houses.
- In the main square itself is a stone cross from the 14th century; at its base in 15-16. Century a stone coat of arms was attached.
- From the medieval castle ( castillo ) of the bishops of Ávila are only few parts - including the donjon ( torre de homenaje ) and the remains of three towers - get. The complex is privately owned.
- Exceptional is a medieval step wells, leading down the stairs to a cistern ( aljibe ).
- A medieval stone bridge ( Puente de Chuy ) rises about 500 meters north of the village.
- The late Gothic Collegiate San Martín was started after the completion of the Cathedral of Ávila ( 1429) and possibly completed in 1513; only the blocky -looking tower is likely to come from a predecessor. The exterior of the building is - largely unadorned designed - with the exception of two portals; the nave interior impresses with its length of approximately 17 meters and the perfect stone processing, which includes a partially recessed into the wall pulpit belongs. Unusually the simple pointed barrel vaults made of brick with Gurtbogenunterzügen from Haustein is in the nave; however, the choir area has a common time for the ribbed vault with star motifs. In 1514 the original altarpiece was created with scenes from the life of St. Martin of Tours; this has been lost, but in his successor from 1701 some of the old illustrations are integrated.
- Alonso Fernández de Madrigal, also called El Tostado (around 1400/10-1455 ) died in Bonilla de la Sierra.