Dease Lake (British Columbia)
Dease Lake is a small settlement ( Designated Place ) in the northwest of the Canadian province of British Columbia to the north of the settlement nearby lake of the same. The settlement is located on Highway 37 in the region Aldi Strict Stikine region. Because no community is registered in the entire region Aldi Strictly, the settlement is the population center of the district.
1834 came John McLeod from Fort Halkett on the Liard River and discovered the Dease Lake. 1838 established the fur trader Robert Campbell, an employee of the Hudson 's Bay Company trading post on the shores of Lake House Dease Lake. The lake was named in 1834 after Chief Factor Peter Warren Dease. The trading station played an important role in the local fur trade, but Campbell was forced to withdraw with his group first. In 1839 the British agreed with the Russian traders on an agreement that the Hudson's Bay Company opened the region.
However, the Tlingit forced the British to restrict their trade on the coast and negotiated even with the Tahltan with which they used intense. 1847-1849 met the Tahltan, whose number was estimated at 1,000 to 1,500, but a smallpox epidemic that probably only 300-325 of them survived.
1861 dissolved gold discoveries on the Stikine from the gold rush of Cassiar. Captain William Moore brought in next year, the prospector from Wrangell to the hinterland. Although most did not retreat in the fall, Governor James Douglas took over affects the control of the newly established Stikine region.
In 1873 came new gold discoveries on Thibert Creek, not far from the Dease Lake. The gold rush ended in Glenora and went overland to Dease Lake. Captain Moore received permission to build a road along the old trade path. The Tahltan suffered from new diseases, such as measles, their numbers continued to decline, and finally they decided to live in a place that no longer klanweise separately. The trade monopoly of the Tlingit collapsed with it.
With the Klondike gold rush, thousands of gold seekers. Alone in Winter 1897 1898 camped 3000-3500 of them in Glenora. Telegraph Creek, which connected the navigation on the Stikine to the north, in 1897 connected to Atlin. The steam boat Lady of the Lake wrong on the Dease Lake.
The census in 2011 showed a population of 303 inhabitants of the settlement. The population of the settlement has thereby decreased compared to the census of 2006 of 384 inhabitants to 21.1%, while the population in the province of British Columbia at the same time grew by 7.0%.
58 people live in the Indian reservation Dease Lake 9 on the north of the village by lake of the same name.
1931 Road Commission proposed the construction of the Pacific Highway Yukon ago, the Washington and Alaska should connect with each other, and was scheduled for 1939, Asphalt ceiling. The main thoroughfare is now the Highway 37, but also the ship traffic on the Stikine in 1972 put an end to. The attempt to link the site from 1969 to the railway network of the British Columbia Railway, failed in 1976 to the high cost.
The only airline that flies to the southwest of the village located Dease Lake Airport, Northern Thunderbird Air connects the place with Smithers.