Wrangell City and Borough
Wrangell is a city and since 1 June 2008, an independent Borough in the U.S. state of Alaska. It lies in the so-called Alaska Panhandle. Before they became a separate borough, it belonged to the Wrangell- Petersburg Census Area. According to the 2010 census, 2,369 people live here. The city name is in the local Indian language Tlingit Khaachxhaana.áak 'w.
The area of present-day Wrangell Stikine Tlingit inhabited by communities of Nanya.aayí. Their main house was X'atgu. Hit or Dogfish House, generally known as Chief Shakes House. Around the house on the island, which still exists today, were totem poles that come from Katjisdu.áxch II who belonged to the clan of Kiks.adí and is considered the greatest carvers of Tlingitgeschichte. The powers, which he designed in the four piles were very naturalistic and dated from between about 1775 and 1790. Located in the Wrangell Museum House post are the oldest preserved Tlingitpfosten. They were originally a house in the old village of Wrangell, a place that called the Tlingit Kasítłáan. This place was abandoned about 1834 and moved to its current port to offer the Russian Foundation of Wrangell competition can. The totem poles were still more than a decade at their old location before they were made up, because the move was planned probably only temporary. The two piles with the human representations have to have been lying, because they strongly weathered. The house survived until 1938/39, when it was replaced by a replica.
Wrangell is one of the oldest settlements in Alaska, which was not founded by the indigenous people, the Tlingit. 1811, the Russians initially began trade with the Tlingit in what is now Wrangell take. Then, in 1834, Ferdinand von Wrangel, then governor of Russian America, a storehouse, 20 km north of the large Tlingit settlement Kasítłáan. This warehouse was named Redoubt Saint Dionysius and stood exactly where today the city of Wrangell is. In 1840, the British Hudson 's Bay Company ( HBC) leased the building and christened it Fort Stikine.
The native Tlingit Indians used always to use the Stikine River as a trade route to the interior, and now protested against the HBC, as they also began their trade route. However, two smallpox epidemics 1836-1840 reduced the population of the Tlingit in half, and so choked the uprisings.
The fort was abandoned in 1849, after there was no more sea otters and beavers were here, with which you could have done. It remained in British rule until Alaska was sold in 1867 to the United States.
The settlement around the fort began because of the gold rush in 1861, then more to grow from 1874 to 1877 and 1897. 1868 Fort Wrangell was built, an outpost of U.S. Military Post. Similar to Skagway also many gambling halls and dance bars have sprung from the soil. Thousands of prospectors traveled here from 1874 on the Stikine River into the Cassiar District of British Columbia and 1897 to the Klondike.
Wrangell has to be the exclusive status of the only city in Alaska, which was under the rule of four different flags. These include Russia, England, the U.S. and the Tlingit.
1895 totem pole was erected on the island of Chief Shake.
Today many people work in Wrangell as a lumberjack, fisherman or earn on tourism. One of the two major sawmills in southeast Alaska is operated by the Silver Bay Company just south of the city limits.
The Chief Shakes Clan House was 1938/39, demolished and replaced by the present house, a reconstruction from 1940, which established the Civilian Conservation Corps. The totem poles on the island that is called Chief Shakes Iceland, still standing until 1982 and from 1984 has been replaced by replicas. On 2 July 1987, the island was made with their house and stake inventory under protection.
Wrangell is located on the northern tip of Wrangell Iceland, an island in the Alaska Panhandle. It is located about 250 km south of Juneau, the capital of Alaska. The city was named after the island of the same name, which in turn was named after Ferdinand von Wrangel, a Russian explorer and later governor of Russian America.
According to the census in 2010 living in Wrangell 2369 people in 907 households and 623 families. The population density is 19.7 / km ². There are 1092 building, which corresponds to a density of 9.3 / km ². 73.48 % of the population are European, 0.13 % African American, 15.51 % Tlingit, 0.65 % Asian. In addition, 0.13 % of the Pacific Islanders, 0.35% and 9.75 % of other descent races. 1.0 % of the population are Hispanic or Latino.
Transport / Infrastructure
Because of the exclusive island location there are only two major transport: The ferry and airplane.
There are several regular ferry lines as the AMHS, connect the Wrangell with the rest of Southeast Alaska. From the air, the Wrangell Airport is served by Alaska Airlines.
In James & Elsie Nolan Center was established by a generous donation and negotiations, which have dragged on for decades, the Wrangell Museum. The house posts of the original house of Chief Shake are located in the museum, which was founded in 2004 with $ 6,000,000. Oldest items are said totem poles.
Less than 2 km north of the City Dock, the Petroglyph Beach, a State Historical Park is around 40 images.