Yakutat City and Borough
Yakutat is an independent Borough ( German as: district) in the U.S. state of Alaska and at the same headquarters. To 22 September 1992 the town was part of the former Skagway - Yakutat - Angoon Census Areas.
Originally, the area around Yakutat of Eyak was settled. Before the first arrival of Europeans they mingled with migrant Tlingit. Yakutat was one of several settlements of these two Indian groups in the region, however, is the only inhabited to this day.
In the 18th and 19th century European explorers came to the region. The Russian-American company of 1805 built a fort, which should support trade in otter pelts. As the company of the Indians wanted to deny access to nearby fishing grounds, a group of the Tlingit attacked the fort and destroyed it.
In 1886, almost twenty years after the purchase of Alaska by the United States, gold mining was carried out. Opened in 1889, the Swedish Free Mission Church, a school and a sawmill. In 1903, the Stimson Lumber Company with the construction of a new sawmill, a canning factory and a railway line. The factory, which was used until 1970, attracted workers in the city.
During the 2nd World War, the United States Army Air Forces stationed a squadron near Yakutat and built in the course of a paved airstrip, which is used to this day for the Yakutat Airport.