The Palais Archduke Wilhelm ( also: German Masters Palace ) is one of the Danish - Austrian architect Theophil von Hansen built from 1864 to 1868, historistisches building of the Ringstrasse.
The four-storey building on the street parking ring 8 was one of the earliest Ringstrasse. The client was Archduke Wilhelm (1827-1894), the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order. 1870 sold the Archduke, the palace of the German masters. 1938 to 1945 it was the seat of the Viennese SS headquarters, from 1945 to 1974 it served as the Vienna Police Department. The vacant since 1975 building was purchased by the OPEC Fund in 1981 and transformed complicated by the architects Georg Lippert to 1983. The state rooms were approximated their original condition, however, there was a loft extension, the de facto an increase equaled.
The palace is one of the most important and thanks to the exemplary restoration to the Ringstraßenpalais best preserved. The building is divided into a five-story central projection and a floor lower side wings. In a two-storey, ashlar plinth zone three high arched portals for the double-barreled, grand stairway and continue to the old stables. In the piano nobile of the buttress is decorated with an Ionic colonnade with balustrade. On the side facade are fluted pilasters with Ionic capitals between the window bays. The windows are suspected with triangular pediments on consoles. A transitory frieze in the attic floor shows the coat of arms of the Grand Master of the Order. Six medals heralds bear the rich cranked and occupied with trophies postaments a balustrade. On the pedestals of the balustrade of the side wings are six statues of the Order Grand Masters, created by Josef Gasser. The back of the palace to Cobdengasse is designed very simple in contrast to the show on the park side ring.
Inside is a very richly decorated salon with two dark green marble columns as a room divider, a black marble base and pink wall panels and coffered ceiling and the dining room with adjoining breakfast call. Four pillars create a visual separation between breakfast and dining room, which reached with its black and red marble base and white fields between Corinthian pilasters gilded a particularly festive effect. The frieze is decorated with coats of arms of the Grand Master on a black ground and gilt vine motifs. The conclusion is a richly gilded coffered ceiling.