The Hofburg in Innsbruck was the seat of the Tyrolean sovereigns.
The first hostel in this area used Duke Leopold III. These and other land acquired by his son Frederick IV, whose son Archduke Sigismund the Rich, Count of Tyrol, let build a medieval castle. His successor, the German King and later Emperor Maximilian I built from the plant. 1534 the ceiling of the 1510 renewed giant hall was destroyed by fire and then made by King Ferdinand again. Because of earthquake damage to the walls of the castle facade was reinforced in 1536 by semicircular towers.
Only Maria Theresa ( reigned from 1740-1780 ) gave the order for the rebuild in the style of courtly Viennese rococo. Thus the magnificent presents today. Maria Theresa was only twice in Innsbruck, 1739 in transit and in 1765 for the wedding of her son Leopold II with the Spanish princess Maria Ludovica what the Triumphal Arch at the end of Maria Theresa Street recalls. The joyous occasion of the wedding was overshadowed by the death of her husband Franz Stephan of Lorraine ( the effects of a stroke ) on August 18, 1765. The death room was transformed by order of the Empress to a chapel. Then you also had the noble ladies pen build. The collegiate ladies had to pray for the deceased emperor. Members of the imperial family have used the castle until the end of the monarchy, next to it was also the seat of the Tyrolean sovereigns and is now owned by the Republic of Austria.
The Innsbruck Hofburg is built in courtly rococo style and a monumental work of Austrian architecture. The Imperial Palace has a built-up area of approximately 5,000 m², there are about 400 rooms - including more than 30 private homes. The building has four storeys, chapel and two larger rooms are storeys high.
The large courtyard is accessed through the southern castle gate, on it goes in to the western centers, smaller kitchen courtyard. The visitor can visit the State Rooms, which are not limited to:
- Giant Hall (Festsaal) with portraits of Maria Theresa, her husband and their 16 children. The room is 31.5 m long, 13 m wide and 11 m high. The name has the room but not derived from its size, but from those shown on giant paintings of Maximilian's time.
- Guard room ( receiving room for the giant hall )
- Imperial Apartments ( Lorraine room, chapter room, Ferdinand room)
- Hofburg chapel hall and vestry
- Andreas -Hofer- Hall, Andreas Hofer resided here from 13 August to 21 October 1809
- Yellow Room, White Salon, Pink Salon, Rondell room, arcade room, bedroom, Corner Cabinet, Chinese Room, Audience Room
At the Hofburg heard the Hofgarten diagonally opposite.