The Goloring in clouds is a prehistoric earthwork and listed cultural monument. The " Eifel- Stonehenge " is considered one of the most important plants in Rhineland- Palatinate.


The Goloring is located on the territory of the municipality Kobern -Gondorf close to the A 48 The facility is located on enclosed former military site, which is accessible via the L 52 between Koblenz and Polch.

The nearest town is clouds. This local church uses the increasing popularity of the facility for their image. The community hall was renamed Goloring Hall and available on the website of the local church: clouds - community on Goloring. In October 2005, the "Friends Goloring eV" was founded in clouds. The surrounding communities Kobern- Gondorf Ochtendung, Bassenheim and clouds have formed, together with the district of Mayen -Koblenz this club.

The site is located at a height of about 310-320 m above sea level. NN. It falls to the south and south-west from flat.

The Goloring since autumn 2006, involved in the Celtic circular trail leads to about 7 km from clouds over the Goloring, the Celtic princely seat on Mount Carmel and Bassenheim back to clouds.


The plant is almost circular. The interior has a diameter of about 175 meters. With a bank and ditch the diameter is about 190 meters. To the west, north and south wall and moat are interrupted by an input. The width of the western entrance is about 40 meters, the other two inputs are each about 2 meters wide. In the center of the interior is about 30 feet rises from the outer ramparts away a likewise almost circular plateau. In the midst of a darker stain was discovered in 1940 during excavations in the ground, among others, in about half a meter deep. From the excavation findings it can be concluded that in the middle of a Golorings about 50 centimeters thick post 8-12 meters in height must have stood.

The outer wall was piled up from the excavation of the trench. The trench is located inside the wall. From the sequence of layers of the inner plateau can be concluded that this was artificially heaped up. Between the trench and platform of course is grown soil.

The Ring plant is now fully exempt from trees. Many traces of the military use by the armed forces have been eliminated. Thus, the topographic location of the complex is now well recognized and is more and more advantage.


First excavations at the site were carried out in 1940 by Josef Röder. Several excavation trenches were taken and made ​​the findings above already described mainly. Since the release of the site by the end of 2002, the Bundeswehr examinations are held by the State Office for archaeological monuments.

Purpose of the facility

The function of the system is unknown. Roeder ordered the plant to the type of the known mainly from England Henge Monument, but there dating to the late Neolithic period.

Most likely it is the Goloring not an attachment or refuge. The terrain is unsuitable and ditch and bank are not enough of their dimensions forth. Also, the fact that the trench is located behind the Wall, argues against this assumption. In addition, there would have been much better suitable places in the local area for this purpose.

The appearance of the entire system rather indicates that it - like the Henge Monuments - these were a sanctuary or a place of worship. The fact that there are around two broad grave mound fields, corroborated this assumption.

The pile in the middle associated with the disruption of the outer ramparts and distinctive terrain points in the environment (eg Mount Carmel ) could lead to the conclusion that it was a sundial could be read from the specified data during the year (theory by Wolfgang Zäck, since 1985). Possible a reference to the sun's path appears: On May 7, the sun sets over the mountain camel, an important date of the Celts during the year (according to Dr. Wolfgang Zäck ). This position reference was brought to life again through a beaten path in the forest.


The origin of the plant is put in the time 1200-600 BC, ie in the urnfield time or early Hallstatt period.


The entire site is not accessible because of his former military use. Find Rare and at irregular intervals guided tours for groups. On the day of the open monument of Goloring can be visited.

Since June 2004, the Goloring is owned by the district Mayen -Koblenz. The purchase price was 90,000.00 EUR. The former district administrator of Albert Berg- Winters, it is thanks to them that the plant was taken over by the federal government.


The occupied probably not before the 19th or 20th century name refers to the legend of Genevieve of Brabant, who was worshiped in the women's church not too far away. It is said that here the culprit Golo had been executed.


View from the central post on the northern entrance ( in the left third of the image )

Erdbrücke at the southern entrance, at the forefront of current excavation trench (9/2004 )

In this picture, the inner edge of the plateau can be seen ( south towards the entrance photographed ). Especially good to recognize the left of the needle tree in the left third of the image.