Polch is a town in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality May Field and is the administrative headquarters. Polch is recognized as a basic center in accordance with state planning.
- 4.1 parish church of St. Stefan
- 4.2 Georgskapelle
- 4.3 synagogue
- 4.4 Hospital chapel and " Viedeler Kapellche "
- 4.5 Viedeler Bur
- 4.6 Other points of interest
- 5.1 company
- 5.2 Leisure
The city Polch is in the northwest of the municipality May Field, south of the Federal Highway 48, which crosses the May Field in the upper third.
To Polch consists of the quarters Kaan, Ruitsch and Nettesürsch and residential places Antoniushof, Döller mill Geisheckerhof, yard pit Margareta, yard unifier valley, yard Rotental, Kreutz Berghof, Kurbenhof, Lindenhof, Cute mill Ruitschermühle and Sonnenhof.
Polch was first mentioned in 1052 in a document of Trier Archbishop Eberhard. Archaeological finds show that the fertile area around and inhabited in Polch in early times was ( Pottery Culture - Municipal Fund for 1913). During the Merovingian period (around 500 AD). Was "In the Jaichen " a small burial ground in use, which was discovered in 1973 during construction. It contains 10 graves from the second half of the 5th century and the beginning of the 6th century. Originally Polch was an imperial with its own jurisdiction and was administered by the " heirs of Polch ". 1354 acquired Archbishop Baldwin of Trier, the judiciary and the administration took a bailiff. Remains of the castle Vogt are no longer available. In the Middle Ages Polch was protected by defensive walls and a moat, "Am moat " testifies today.
Polch was 1798-1814 capital ( chef-lieu ) of a canton in the French district of Koblenz, which belonged to the Rhine-Moselle department. Since 1968 Polch seat of the municipal administration May Field. On 19 December 1987 Polch was given city rights.
The council Polch consists of 22 council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 of personalized proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman city.
The distribution of seats in the City Council:
Coat of arms
The coat of arms shows a split- Baroque shield above, in white, a continuous cross, below, in red, with a golden crown. The red cross is reminiscent of the former belonging to the Electorate of Trier, the golden crown is the emblem of the " heirs of Polch ".
Parish Church of St. Stefan
The Catholic Church of St. Stephan was built 1849-1852 in neo-Romanesque style. The twin towers are 50 meters high.
The St George's Chapel in the cemetery on the southern outskirts is one of the oldest churches in the Eifel. It is located off the historic buildings in the walled cemetery of Polch with ancient chestnut avenue. The first recorded documentation of a church in Polch comes from a document from the year 1052.
As a former building of the chapel of St. George, a Roman temple is suspected. An indication might be the walled than fall over the door of the southwest side of the ship Roman grave stone. The inscription legible obtained is: " C. ( = Gaio ) Åttio Caro / et Iul ( iae ) Suausiae / uxori, At ( t) io Paterno / At ( t) iae Avianae fili ( i) s "( translation: [ grave stone ] for Gaius Attius Carus and his wife Iulia Suausia, [ even ] for their children Attius Paternus and Attia Aviana. ) part of the letter is written in ligature, which occasionally leads to misinterpretation of the Latin text.
There is another, possibly also Roman spolia At the top of the north-western gable: a female bust, when it could be a representation of the goddess Ceres.
The former Polcher synagogue was built in 1867-1877 according to the plans of architect Hermann Koblenz fog. In the Kristallnacht also this synagogue was devastated. Since the fire was extinguished quickly, but does not burned out. The synagogue was set by the municipality repaired and now serves as a space for cultural events.
Hospital chapel and " Viedeler Kapellche "
In addition to the hospital chapel in the old hospital to Viedel a sleek neo-Gothic chapel has claimed the so-called " Viedeler Kapellche ", which was built in 1881 by Peter Geisen at what was then the outskirts. A simple neo-Gothic quarry stone, zweijochig three-sided circuit is divided by doubly stepped buttresses, pointed arch windows and three Tuffsteinvierpaßfenster in the apse.
The " Viedeler Bur " = (Born = water source ) is a fountain, which was fed from a source. It dates from 1854 and was on loan to the Polcher city park. In 2007, the fountain was restored and erected opposite the old location, corner street sweeper / creek road. The Bur is powered by a circulation system with water. The environment of the " Viedeler Bur " and the urban green space was designed this new.
Additional points of interest
Other attractions include a baroque courtyard of the Abbey of St. Matthias (1748 ) and the Heritage Museum " Christina Stuben" in the bee garden.
Many well-known castles are located on the May Field, Burg Eltz, Burg Pyrmont, Castle Bishop stone, castle Wernerseck.
Economy and infrastructure
The many new housing developments and numerous jobs Polch owes a strong growth in recent years population.
A rail link no longer exists. The former route of Koblenz Ochtendung and Polch after Munstermaifeld Mayen and is now developed as a bike path.
The most famous resident of Polch companies are Griesson - de Beukelaer, Niesmann Bischoff, Frank Gerardy GmbH and wholesale bakery Lohner.
An extensive program of leisure activities and relaxation await the " Kaaner yard", located in the district of Kaan, 2 kilometers from Polch. The Court considers a variety of rare pets.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Leo Schönberg ( b. 1928 ), lawyer and politician
- Leopold Schweitzer (1871-1937), German architect
- Max Tidof (* 1960), actor