Next Castle is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Vallendar.
It lies at the foot of the Westerwald north of Koblenz.
Because of archaeological finds is a settlement (8th to 5th century BC) already takes place in the early Iron Age. Around the year 100 AD was built on the present-day municipality of the fortlet Ferbach.
Documented Next castle was first mentioned by the Counts of Sayn in 1202 as " Withersberg " in the context of the foundation of the Premonstratensian abbey of Sayn.
The development of the population, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Weitersburg consists of 16 council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 a proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Allocation of seats in the elected municipal council:
Coat of arms
The Next Burger Coat of Arms has a very short history. The Interior Ministry gave the community Weitersburg on June 5, 1950 its official coat of arms. The blazon of the two-part blazon shows in the top half of one, according to the heraldic right -looking, golden lion on a red background, while the lower half represents a stylized, standing on a mountain, red building on a gold basis. When the lion is the heraldic animal of the county of Sayn to which the Sayner cloister belonged to Weitersburg, which is called in the first documentary mention Next Burgs 1202. The building is the former Roman farmstead, which was discovered in 1896 in Weitersburg.
- St. Mary's Church and Grotto
- Pfarrheim in wooden style of the Bregenz Forest or New Vorarlberg school
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Monument
- Next Castle is the birthplace of Peter Friedhofen, founder of the Congregation of the Brothers of Mercy of Mary Help.
- From 1987 to 1990, the present auxiliary bishop of Trier Joerg Michael Peters Kaplan was in Bendorf St. Medard and Weitersburg St. Mary.
- Jutta Nardenbach, former football player of the German national team (1989 and 1991 European champion ).
Weitersburg is characterized by a particularly rich associational life. Statistically falls to each 79 inhabitants of a. There are, for example, the Turnverein 1891 eV, the fair society Fidele boys eV, the sports club Viktoria 1928 eV and the church choir Cecilia.