Burgen, Mayen-Koblenz

Castles is a municipality in the Lower Moselle district of Mayen- Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Untermosel, which has its administrative headquarters in Kobern -Gondorf. Castles is a nationally recognized resort.


Geographical location

Castles located at the mouth of the Baybachs into the Moselle.

The municipality castles include the residential places Birkenhof, Gänshof, house in Au, Mosel Kerner Ferry and oil mill.


The annual rainfall is 661 mm. The deposits are located in the lower third of the detected values ​​in Germany. At 32% of the stations of the German Weather Service lower values ​​are registered. The driest month is February, the most rainfall comes in June. Fall in June 1.8 times more rainfall than in February. Precipitation varies moderately. At 43% of the monitoring stations, lower seasonal swings are recorded.


The first mention of castles in the year 928 in a Landleihe certificate ( precarial ) of the Duke of Lorraine Giselbert with the Archbishop of Trier Ruotger of Trier. Colonized the place was but probably earlier, since there were Roman and Celtic remains during building work.

Until 1780 castles belonged to the condominium Beltheimer court, after its division of the place fell to the Electorate of Trier. The collegiate church of Munstermaifeld had possession of the town.

The lying to the right of Baybachs part of the township was named in the 19th century "Rome". This district belonged to the Electoral-Trier Gallscheider court.

In December 1993, castles suffered from the flood of the century, which put parts of the village under water.

The development of the population of the municipality of castles, the values ​​from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:

Parish council

The council consists of twelve castles in council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 a personalized proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman.

The distribution of seats in the local council:


The Bishop Stone castle is located on the opposite side of the Moselle on the western shore on a rocky spur. Below the castle Bischofstein is the Paul chapel from the 13th century. The village has many Moselle half-timbered houses, some of which are well preserved or restored. Some of the old buildings stand empty and threaten to fall. But obtaining the tithe houses of Eltz and Waldecker.

See also: List of cultural monuments in castles


  • Burgener Bischofstein


  • Probably the biggest festival of castles is the shooting. It takes place in August every first weekend. By 2006, the festival is celebrated on the large Mosel meadow. From 2007, the Protect brothers celebrated their feast at the end of castles on the sports field and shooting gallery.
  • On the first weekend of September, the bikers from ARK (Alpine cavities command - Castles ) invite you to Bikerfest. The festival takes place on the Trimmdich place in Baybachtal.


Castles located directly on the main road 49 between Koblenz and castles are buses that connect the Mosel communities with the city. Until the 20th century castles were also accessed via a situated on the other bank of the Moselle near the castle Bischofstein station on the Mosel route.