Brey is located near Koblenz on the Rhine across from Braubach, where the castle is Mark. Neighboring towns are Spay (upstream) and the city Rhens (down). To Brey part of the district of Seven Born.
Brey was already inhabited in the Stone Age, as various archaeological finds, including flint artefacts show. From the Roman times an elaborate underground water pipe comes in Qanatbauweise, suggesting a greater Roman presence. In fact, in the outskirts of Brey a Roman estate ( villa rustica ) is proved and the Tauber river, the location of a Roman fort is suspected. Brey was halfway between the Roman forts in Koblenz ( Confluentes ) and Boppard ( fort Boppard ), near another farm in Spay. It is obvious that here is a station for the supply was built, however, evidence for the missing.
The first mention Breys ( Bruone ) dates from the year 821, when it occurs in conjunction with Spay ( Speyen ) in a deed. The place was owned by various landlords, including the Lords of Eppstein and the Bishop of Worms, but was part of the parish Niederspay administratively first to Boppard Empire, whose northern border ran at Brey, and after his pledge to Archbishop Baldwin to the Electorate of Trier.
Like the rest of the left bank of the Rhine Brey 1792 occupied by French revolutionary troops and later affiliated France. During this time it became part of the Mairie Rhens in the canton of Boppard. After the Congress of Vienna in 1815, the Rhineland was Prussian and Brey part of the new mayor Boppard in the district Sankt Goar. There, the place remaining until the administrative reform of 1969, when the county of St. Goar was dissolved and Brey was spun off along with Spay Boppard. After it was first connected directly to the district Koblenz, it was in 1970 part of the new municipality Rhens in Mayen -Koblenz district.
Since June 2005, numerous attractions have been provided on Breyer area as part of the reopening of the cultural path Brey - Spay -Jakob mountain with information plaques. In addition to Iron Age burial mounds and the Roman aqueduct is included, which was located already in the 19th century, but scientifically processed only after 1963.
The local council in Brey consists of 16 council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 of personalized proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Allocation of seats in the elected municipal council:
- Roman aqueduct ( Brey )
- Church of St. Margaret and St. Henry ( Brey )
See also: List of cultural monuments in Brey