Pillig on the May Field is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality May Field, which has its headquarters in the city Polch.


1563 included Pillig under the name Pülich 47, 1683 38 fireplaces. Gorgeous country was the village, formerly called Pillich until the late 18th century to the Electorate of Trier and was under the administration of the Office Münster- May- field. Pillig was the seat of a home Burgers in High Court in Münster - May- field.

The development of the population of Pillig, the values ​​from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:


Parish council

The local council in Pillig consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 a proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman. The eight seats in the City Council are distributed among three groups of voters.

Coat of arms

The blazon is: " In a red slanted left golden wave beams. Above, a golden Roman temple, down a golden Carolingian coin with Inner box, topped with a golden cross, which is bewinkelt of four golden balls. "

The wave bar symbolizes the Elzbach. The coin commemorates the discovery of an important Carolingian coin hoard, 1957 in the former rural community forest in the Pilligerheck which nowadays belongs to Keldung, a district of Munstermaifeld. The temple draws attention to the many Roman finds in the area of Pillig, especially to the remains of buildings in the district of " sand field" and west of the church. Coat of Arms design: A. Friedrichs, Zell / Mosel.


The Catholic parish church of St. Firmin dates back to 1778, but has remains of late Roman masonry and a late Gothic tower. The uniform equipment comes mainly from the late 18th century.

1652 Calvary was built with life-size figures on the way to the nearby Burg Pyrmont.

See also: List of cultural monuments in Pillig