Luxembourg is a municipality about 10 kilometers west of Mayen in the district of Mayen-Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Vordereifel, which has its administrative headquarters in Mayen. In the Middle Ages it was known as Luxheim. From an ethnic homestead the larger neighboring community today Weiler ( in Mayen ) was born. In the Middle Ages the neighboring village hamlet Niederluxem.
- 2.1 municipal
- 2.2 Mayor
- 2.3 Coat of Arms
Luxembourg was first mentioned in 1320. Finds from the Roman period indicate a settlement in ancient times. Henno of Bürresheim, called by Daun, transferred a court in the place referred to as Lucxheim Elector Baldwin of Trier as Burglehen.
The place name Lucsheim possibly derives from the Latin and means light. Other sources report a graduation certificate from 1229 and a certificate from 1336, in the Ruprecht Count Virneburg the adjacent possessions, including Luxem appropriated. In this year Count Robert sold the castle to Virneburg for 2200 florins to Elector Baldwin.
The first chapel was built in 1686th Inside the chapel there is a statue of the Madonna and Child from the early 19th century and Baroque wooden figures of John the Baptist and St. Roch. 1883 was a small organ to be installed, which was not least due to the night Heimer pastor Conrady. The organ cost at that time already the proud price of 495 marks. The old chapel was so dilapidated that on the night of March 24, 1966 a side wall collapsed, in the next few days then other parts. Rumors Half favored a " nachgeholfener collapse " of the chapel whose construction and expansion of the main road through the town (Source: Johann Gäb, former mayor ). Fortunately, even the precious Baroque altar had been removed earlier and brought to safety. In the newly built chapel, the altar was erected again, the windows and doors as well as parts of the church pews of the old chapel used. Since time immemorial, the chapel is dedicated to St. Roch of Montpellier. It is a church organization branch church of the parish hamlet in the pastoral care unit Nachtsheim.
After in 1840 was the first school in the village, the church founded her own school association in 1842. In 1885, the then teacher Peter Stein had taken the trouble to create a small village chronicle. His salary was 60 dollars or 181 marks a year. The first teacher was his father Jacob in Luxembourg stone, which came from a mill at Urmersbach. The last teacher, Sebastiansweiler, was transferred in the 1960s by Luxembourg after Kottenheim. In order for the merger of the previous school districts shepherds, Luxembourg and hamlet in the village primary school was realized. The old school building and the adjoining " schoolyard " are used since then as a youth center and meeting place and venue for different events such as fairs ( campground ), May Day celebrations, or eg public viewing place at the 2010 World Cup.
History of water supply
In 1860, a temporary water line was laid, which was fed with the water from the wells sunk into the cellars. The actual water pipe was laid by opening up a source in the Women Born 1895/96. Simultaneously, the community built a fire water pond near the school. In the firehouse, in the sometimes shady characters was imprisoned, was Fire fighting a fire engine.
As in other communities Eifel migrated from the mid-19th century, numerous residents for economic reasons, mainly to America and Canada.
The development of the population of Luxembourg, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Luxembourg consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Was mayor for over 30 years until his death in January 2009 Johann Gäb. After an unsuccessful mayoral election in the summer of 2009 was intended as a successor in October Wolfgang Thelen by the local council. The official business headed by then provisionally Karl Steffens.
Coat of arms
The blazon is: " Shared by gold over blue. Top bar, seven (4:3) red diamonds ( as an indication of the historical connection to the county Virneburg ), below two crossed silver pilgrim bars ( the Patron Saint Roch of Montpellier). "
Festivals and clubs
Luxembourg has a village hall, where among other things, every year in late June sees the village festival. Is hosted by the village festival of shooters Chapel Luxembourg in 1965, the Musikverein inside the biggest club in the village of St. Sebastian protecting Brotherhood 1938 eV, which also leads many members from neighboring communities. There is also the bachelor club ( foundation 2003), the festivities helped to shape at the fair for several years, the Möhnen association, each presented extensively on heavy Thursday, an exercise group and the sports club SV Weiler / Luxembourg, who in 2005, his 75 - celebrated anniversary. Every third weekend in July will be held the fair and at the same time the bachelor party.