Gering, Germany

Gering is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality May Field, which has its headquarters in the city Polch.


Gering is located about five kilometers southwest of the city Polch. Geographically, can the majority of its territory with its capital assigned to the upper flat corrugated May Field, the southern part, however, the Elz Valley (Valley of the Elzbachs ). There, the municipality reached at Elzbach with almost 215 m above sea level. NN its lowest, on the northwestern border on the slopes of unifier height of 360 m above sea level. NN its highest point on the ground. At the low part of the living space situated on Elzbach Low Mill.


Gering was first mentioned in 1257 as Girreke later. Than Girniche, Gyrneke or jerrich

1563 was one of the village under the name Gerink 13, 1684 15 fireplaces. Gorgeous country they belonged to the late 18th century to the Electorate of Trier and was under the administration of the Office Münster- May- field. Gering was the seat of a home Burgers in High Court in Münster - May- field.

The development of the population of the low, the values ​​from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:


Parish council

The local council in Gering consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.

Coat of arms

The blazon is: " Argent, a chevron excessive red, topped with three silver balls, including a blue slate hammer with black handle ."

Red and silver recall the Electorate of Trier, while the balls refer to the chapel saint Nicholas. As low was marked by the slate mining long, you pick up the slate hammer in the run since 1978 coat of arms.


In the Catholic St. Nicholas Chapel from 1922 a high altarpiece from the end of the 18th century was acquired by the predecessor.

House name

A special sense of tradition in the community demonstrated by the fact that many homeowners have next to the house numbers mounted signs that are the traditional house names.


Church of St. Nicholas

Shield with former House name