Arft is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Vordereifel, which has its administrative headquarters in Mayen.


The town is located north-west of Mayen between Laacher See and Nürburgring near the Hohe Acht, the highest elevation of the Eifel.

In Arft the Arfter Bach, one of the two sources of Cute springs. The highest point is the Raßberg 668 m above sea. NN, at the foot of a ski area with ski lift and 500 meters long runway is located.

In addition to the eponymous village there are the smaller district of Nice courtyards. Arft bordered (clockwise ) to the local communities Hohenleimbach, Kempenich (both in Ahrweiler ), women, cross- cutting, Langenfeld, Eight, Seven Bach and ( with a narrow strip ) Kaltenborn (Landkreis Ahrweiler ).


Arft belonged to the parish of Langenfeld and with this to the end of the 18th century to the Electorate of Trier. After 1792 French Revolution French troops had occupied the so-called left bank of the Rhine. After the introduction of the French administrative structures Arft belonged from 1798 to 1814 for Canton Virneburg in the Rhine- Moselle department. Because of the Congress of Vienna (1815 ) agreements, the region came to the Kingdom of Prussia. Arft belonged to the mayor's Virneburg in 1816 erected circle Adenau of the district of Koblenz and from 1822 to the Rhine province.

The development of the population of the municipality Arft, the values ​​from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:


Parish council

The local council in Arft consists of six council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.

Coat of arms

Official Description: " In gold under four beams as provided red diamonds a blue trefoil with three leaves ."

The four diamonds indicate the coat of arms of the Counts of Virneburg, the trefoil on the patrons of the chapel.


Arft church belongs to the Catholic church Langenfeld ( Eifel). The chapel in Arft is dedicated to the Holy Trinity and was built in 1959.


As a preferred destination for hikers, the nature reserve Bergheide offers with its variety of grasses and shrubs. The 2008 award-winning hiking trail (mountain Heather Lane ) takes over the juniper heath and pine groves; Parts of the route and along the Cute and the Selbachs. Difficulty: Easy - Length 10.3 km - Start / finish: Car park below the Raßberg.

For hikers is also the Dr. Heinrich Menke Park, one of the protected areas of the district of Mayen- Koblenz, popular. Nature lovers will appreciate its Wacholderheide which is developed by the tourist trail juniper, the 8.8 km long by the neighboring juniper protected areas Heidbüchel, Raßberg, Büsch Mountain, Wolf Mountain and Wabelsberg ( neighboring community Langscheid ) leads.

The European Commission supports (along with the Rhineland- Palatinate Ministry of Environment and Forests ) nature conservation measures on selected junipers of the eastern Eifel region. Parts of the LIFE project relating to the above-mentioned protected areas.

Nature Reserves:

  • Dr. Heinrich Menke Park
  • Junipers Raßberg and Heidbüchel