Mayen is a major district town in Rhineland-Palatinate district of Mayen -Koblenz in the volcanic Eifel region and is the administrative center of the municipality Vordereifel. Until November 6, 1970 Mayen was also the administrative seat of the district of Mayen.
- 2.1 Development of Population
- 3.1 City Council
- 3.2 Mayor and mayor
- 3.3 Town twinning
- 3.4 Coat of Arms
- 4.1 trade
- 4.2 industry
- 4.3 traffic
- 4.4 educational institutions
- 4.5 Scientific institutions
- 4.6 Other Facilities
- 5.1 Structures
- 5.2 Leisure
- 5.3 Regular events
- 5.4 Sports
To the west and north and south-west of Mayen rises in a ground level the Eifel. To the east the landscape opens to flatten off, Koblenz- Neuwied Basin, which Pellenz and the southern part of May Field can be divided in turn into the northern part, which are commonly reckoned still to the Eifel. Hence the name " Mayen, the gateway to the Eifel " comes from.
The river Nette ( Middle Rhine ) flows through the city of the Eiffel coming towards white tower on the Rhine.
Mayen is divided into the core city and four districts or local districts and a number of hamlets and living quarters (population as of 16 January 2012):
- Core city Mayen ( 14,837 inhabitants; area 3,209 ha ) with the place names Ahl, On Spruce Grove, Bernardshof, Cond, Conderhöhe, Eiterbach, Geisbüschhof, Geisheckerhof, In Stocktal, Monastery Helgoland, Kalenbornerhof, Katzenberg, Kirchershof, Müllershof, paper mill, computing and Thomashof
- Alzheim ( 1,327 inhabitants; area 1,004 ha) with the villages in the Pluns and Wüsteratherhof
- Hausen ( 1,755 inhabitants; area 499 ha), including the villages Betzing, mine Good luck, Im Nettetal, Mosel Lasch Eight, Nettehof, Wölwerhöfe, Zährensmühle I and II Zährensmühle
- Kürrenberg ( 1,212 inhabitants; area 772 ha) with the village Karbachsberg
- Nitztal ( 167 inhabitants; area 320 ha)
The annual rainfall is 596 mm. Rainfall is low. They are in the bottom fifth of the reported values in Germany. At 20% of the stations of the German Weather Service lower values are registered. The driest month is February, the most rainfall comes in July. In July, falling 1.6 times more precipitation than in February. Precipitation varies only slightly and are distributed extremely evenly throughout the year. At only 1% of the monitoring stations, lower seasonal swings are recorded.
Already in the Roman period Mayen was an important business location. Here were settled by the end of the 3rd century to the Middle Ages potteries, whose products have been spread throughout Central Europe. An even older - prehistoric - Terms experienced the quarries in the area, whose basalt were further processed in Mayen millstones and its tuff to sarcophagi. These sarcophagi were found with significant glass additions on the burial ground ( now in the Museum at the Genoveva Castle ). In late antiquity, there was a late Roman height mounting on the nearby, 290 meters high Katzenberg.
The name probably derives from the Mayen name Megina ago, the first documentary called 847 the location in the plane or on the field (Celtic magos ). Mayen was first mentioned in 1041 and received in 1291 next to Bernkastel, Welschbillig, Montabaur and Saar castle town rights by Rudolf I of Habsburg awarded. Notably Mayen may be related to the south- eastern section of May Field since Mayen was called in the Middle Ages as the capital of the Meiengaus.
In the Nine Years' War, belonging to the Electorate of Trier city was occupied and badly damaged. In late autumn 1794 occupied French revolutionary troops again, the left bank of the Rhine. At the Congress of Vienna in 1814/15 then Prussia received the entire left and right bank of the Rhine. Mayen was county seat. During World War II, the city was, in particular destroyed in the air raids of 12 December 1944, and January 2, 1945 to about 90 percent, and only by special vote of the decree to rebuild.
Since 1946, the city is part of Rhineland- Palatinate then newly founded.
The present city Mayen was formed in the mid-1960s started Rhineland-Palatinate administrative and territorial reform. On 7 November 1970, the four previously independent municipalities Alzheim ( 849 inhabitants), bei Mayen ( 1242 ), Kürrenberg were ( 686 ) and Nitztal (171 ) incorporated into the city Mayen. Previously, the town of Sankt Johann and Kürrenberg - Nitz the community and the community Kürrenberg Alzheim been regenerated from the two communities Allenz and Berresheim of the districts Sankt Johann - Nitz on June 7, 1969 on 1 January 1967, the municipality Nitztal.
Until November 6, 1970 Mayen was county town of the district of Mayen ( License Plate MY). The county government was moved to Koblenz and the county renamed in Mayen- Koblenz with the newly introduced on February 12, 1979 License Plate MYK. For a short time, on June 12, 1973 to February 11, 1979, the Plate knockout was awarded for the entire county, but which was met with heavy resistance among the population and was thus converted into MYK. Koblenz kept the flag KO. As part of the license plate liberalization of Mayen's City Council voted unanimously on 12 December 2012 for the reinstatement of the license plate MY, which was then confirmed on March 18, 2013 by the district council. Since May 6, 2013, the MY- flag for the city Mayen and the entire district Mayen-Koblenz is now available as an option again.
Development of the population
The following table shows the development of the number of inhabitants in the area of the city.
The council Mayen consists of 32 volunteer council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 of personalized proportional representation, and the full-time mayor as chairman.
The distribution of seats in the City Council:
Mayor and mayor
The Savings Bank Fachwirt Wolfgang Treis ( GREEN ) was elected on 9 September 2012 in the runoff election for the office of mayor against Rolf Koch ( CDU) with 56.30 % to 43.70 % with a turnout of 45.51 %. The inauguration took place on 5 November. He is the first Green mayor in Rhineland- Palatinate.
The mayor was elected on June 7, 2009. These are Lothar Geisen ( Alzheim ), Karl- Josef Weber (Hausen ), Sigmar Stenner ( Kürrenberg ) and Stefan Wagner ( Nitztal ).
- Joigny, France, since 1964
- Godalming, England, United Kingdom, since 1982
- Uherské Hradiště, Czech Republic, since 1994
Coat of arms
Blazon: " Argent, a continuous, faceted, red beams cross, top right and bottom left accompanied by a left -turned red key, top left and bottom right with a five-petalled green tree ( Maypole beech), each of the transom partially engaging. "
The coat of arms of the city Mayen represents the red Kurtrierische with center rib on silver constitute grounds in the fields formed by the cross located in the right upper and left lower field ever a red key; the key bit is up and pointing to the left. In the other two fields each a green tree ( Maypole beech) is shown.
Economy and infrastructure
In downtown, the pedestrian area with predominantly ortsansässigem retail. In the commercial area are regional retail chains to find. The city is the headquarters of Volksbank eG RheinAhrEifel and District Savings Bank Mayen.
Mayen has operations of basalt, slate and board industry ( Kartonfabrik WEIG ), mechanical engineering and aluminum and plastics processing.
Mayen is located close to the A61 (Cologne -Ludwigshafen ) and the A 48 (Trier -Koblenz ). Furthermore, the federal roads lead 256, 258 and 262 through the urban area.
Railway connections there are on the KBS 478 ( Pellenz -Eifel -Bahn or Eifelquerbahn ) to Andernach to KBS 470 (Cologne - Koblenz ) and after Emperor Esch. From May 1 to October 31 with connection to the volcanic Eifel -Bahn to Gerolstein. ( The connection is not initially given in 2013. )
Previously, there was still a direct rail connection via Polch after Ochtendung and Koblenz or Munstermaifeld. On October 1, 1904, the stretch of Koblenz- La Petite - Polch could be inaugurated. The section of Polch up Mayen East, which should be originally inaugurated on the same day, could go into operation until November 12, 1904 by a landslide on 30 September 1904. In 1916, then Munstermaifeld was accessible via the route Polch - Munstermaifeld by train. The mid- 70s, the section Polch Mayen East because of superstructure damage and the poor state of the two viaducts Hausener for freight and passenger traffic was blocked. Today runs on the route between Mayen Polch after Ochtendung or Munstermaifeld a railway line cycle path after the rails were removed in the 90s.
Bus services to / from Koblenz / Neuwied / Khajuraho and Andernach, but also in the Eifel. The city belongs to the transport association Rhein-Mosel.
Add Mayen offering general education about further extends to vocational schools and a total of 3 special schools.
In the urban area, there are 17 schools:
- 5 elementary schools - two of them in the districts Hausen and Kürrenberg
- 1 Elementary School
- 1 Realschule plus Albert -Schweitzer -Realschule plus
- 1 School Megina Gymnasium Mayen
- 1 Wirtschaftsgymnasium
- 1 Vocational School (Carl Burger school with vocational high school I, Economic / Social Care, Dual vocational high school and technical colleges for elderly care and health education for nursing )
- 3 special schools (schools in Bernardshof with FSP social-emotional development, Genoveva school with FSP holistic development and Elizabeth School with FSP learning)
In addition, in Mayen are some training centers of national importance at home:
- Rhineland -Palatinate College of Public Administration ( FHöV )
- The Central Administration School (ZVS ) of Rhineland- Palatinate
- The Federal Training Centre of the German Roofing Trade
- State College and Research Institute, Department of Apiculture (former State Institute of Apiculture )
In the General Delius barracks in Mayen - Kürrenberg PSYOPS is home to the Department teaching the Bundeswehr in the center. These are the troops School of Information Operations. Here the soldiers learn how to deal with media and Psychological Operations.
The Roman- Germanic Central Museum in Mainz maintains in the research area Mayen volcanology, archeology and history of technology (VAT) and the Laboratory for Experimental Archaeology (LEA)
The district court Mayen, among others, the Joint Mahngericht the states of Rhineland -Palatinate and Saarland.
Furthermore Mayen has a hospital ( Gemeinschaftsklinkum Koblenz - Mayen, St. Elisabeth Mayen ) and a rescue station. The rescue coordination center for the district of Mayen -Koblenz, Koblenz, the city and the districts Cochem-Zell and Bad Neuenahr / Ahrweiler was closed in 2011 with the founding of the integrated control center of Koblenz.
Mayen is a garrison town. In the nearby General Delius barracks also a center PSYOPS, center and command post for the smallest branch of service of the Bundeswehr. Mayener soldiers are present in almost all foreign deployments of the Bundeswehr. There are regular Confederate military delegations the way to the Eifel.
Mayen is the seat of Radio Andernach, the Forces Broadcasting Service of the Bundeswehr.
Culture and sights
- Genoveva Castle from the 13th century - in the Eifel Museum with the German slate mine,
- Parish Church of St. Clement with twisted tower ( symbol of the city, built 1945 ),
- Parish Church of the Sacred Heart ( 1911/12 built )
- St. Vitus Church, built in 1954 by Dominic Böhm
- Bird storm
- Old Town Hall
- Bull fountain
- Lapideapark of Mayener Sculpture Symposium in mining field
- Not far away in Nettetal: Castle Bürresheim.
- Reconstruction of the late Roman height mounting on the Katzenberg
- Eifelmuseum with German shale mine, an Adventure Mine and Museum
- Nettebad (outdoor - indoor pool - sauna) - the sports and leisure with the longest laid on a slope slide in the world ( Guinness record)
- Lukasmarkt fair in October with a week rides as well as horse and sheep - and Krammarkt (already mentioned in the beginning of the 15th century ).
- Castle Festival From May- August, a variety theater performances every year in their own directorship held in the courtyard of Genovevaburg
- Whit market ( flea market )
- Roman festival on the pit box ( on the 2nd weekend in July )
- Stone and Castle Festival with artisans and farmers market ( on the 2nd weekend in September )
- Festival of magic with witches and magicians market (last weekend in October )
- Christmas market on the Genovevaburg ( on 1 Advent weekend )
- Mayen's book and Culture Week: Beginning November in each year, the Book and Culture Week with author readings instead
- The football section of the TuS Mayen plays in the Rhineland league.
- The oldest football club in the city is the SV Mayen Rhineland. This association also had a Boxabteilung in the forties and fifties. Here the actor Mario Adorf learned boxing.
- The tennis club TuS Mayen 1886/1914 eV offered in 1910 the opportunity to play tennis in Mayen. Dominik Meffert ( born 1981 ) currently ranks at place 200 in the ATP world rankings, is probably the most well-known talent of the club. 1978, the second tennis club of the city, the TC was founded on clover Mayen eV. This is located on the premises of the tennis and squash center Mayen, which in addition to 7 outdoor space systems and 4 indoor fields also offers 2 squash courts.
- With the AC Mayen Mayen sits in one of the leading motor sports clubs in the ADAC Gau Middle Rhine. This depends almost all major events at the Nürburgring on behalf of the ADAC (Formula 1 World Championship - Grand Prix of Europe 1995-1996 and 1999-2007 ); before Grand Prix of Germany, the association was (1951-1976 except 1959 and 1970) Established, ADAC 1000 km races, 24 hour races, and others) in 1927.
- The DLRG Mayen eV forms its members in Gartenbad Mayen. In addition, the DLRG Mayen performs around Mayen water rescue service in lakes and swimming pools.
- The football club was founded in 1894 TuS Hausen, of Mayen's district Hausen plays in the county league A. Chairman since 1994 of the referee and former player Werner Grosse.
- Bushido Club Mayen eV, emerged from the Judo and Karate Club founded in 1972 and 1985, registered at the District Court Andernach in the Register.
- See list of personalities of the city Mayen
The marketplace Mayen seen from the Genovevaburg from
The towers of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Church
Mario Adorf - painting on a wall in Mayen ( house wall now built over, image no longer exists)
Reconstruction of parts of the defensive wall of the former late Roman height mounting Katzenberg in Mayen