Anschau is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Vordereifel, which has its administrative headquarters in Mayen.

Geographical location

Anschau located west of Monreal and south of Virneburg on the road from Niederelz by Nachtsheim in the geological formation " Viewed trough " or " Kürrenberg - Viewed hollow" between the forest Escher- night Heimer and the Bürresheim - Bermeler saddle.

The municipality Anschau heard except the eponymous place also the hamlet Mimbach, situated on the same stream.


Anschau belonged to the late 18th century to the county Virneburg, which fell in 1592 to the Counts of Löwenstein -Wertheim and remained there until the conquest of the left bank of the Rhine by the French Republic in 1794. From 1798 to 1814, the village belonged to the canton in the Arrondissement de Virneburg Bonn the Rhine-Moselle department and was under the administration of the Mairie Virneburg. After the Congress of Vienna it became Prussian.

In " Ainschauwe " 1488 is a magnificent courtyard mentioned, to the lands and forests ( the so-called " cross Büsch " ) included. The Counts worth domestic farm later passed into the ownership of the French State, and in 1804 /07 sold.

According to statistics by Eva Lacour there was Anschau in 1582-1701 about 18 households in Mimbach to four.

The community was subject to the mill forced the spell mill in Niederelz. In the spring of 1722 many houses in the town were destroyed by fire.

From 1837 to 1888 the children from Anschau and Ditscheid taught together for Mimbach, then Anschau got its own school, which existed until the late 1960s.

The development of the population of Anschau, the values ​​from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:


Parish council

The local council in Anschau consists of six council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.

Coat of arms

The coat of arms description reads: " From Blue divided on gold, a silver crosier with silver, goldgeschäfteten ax crossed diagonally above, below 7 (4:3) to 2 bars strung together red diamonds ". The diamonds represent the former county Virneburg, the crook is the attribute of the church's patron saint of St. Giles Gilles and the ax commemorates the martyrdom of the Apostle Matthias, the former church's patron saint.


The St. Giles Church in Anschau is a branch church of the parish Nachtsheim. The present building, a small church in the homeland security style, was built in 1950-1951, designed by Fritz Thoma ( 1901-1977 ). For the previous building, a St. Matthias Chapel, 1671 a bell was consecrated.