Cold is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality May Field, which has its headquarters in the city Polch.


In the district of sand meadow you've done several times before and protohistoric finds at cold ( late Iron Age and Roman ruins ). Under the name Calthe we find the first written evidence in 1226 In Cold different monasteries in medieval times wealthy. St. Maximin, Trier; Florin pin, Koblenz; the German mansion and monastery Laach. Today Mark's church is the extension (1923 ) built on old foundations of a chapel from 1772. The Thirty Years' War, as noted, the local chronicle, survived only six of 103 inhabitants. An old religious custom is the Cold dozen s - Bilchens Procession on Ascension Day, which has existed since 1678. Because of a forgotten vow then to be smallpox erupted and wreaked havoc particularly among the children of the village.


Parish council

The local council in cold consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 a proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman. The eight seats on the council are divided into two groups of voters.

Coat of arms

The coat of arms description reads: "Under a silver shield with a red main beams cross a border, rotbewehrter and gezungter golden lion on green ".

Cold is one of the so-called " six- step geometry villages ". The patron saint of the municipality is the cold hl. Marcus, symbolized by the lion. The Green points to the location of the village in the green corridor. The coat of arms was introduced in 1963.


In the Catholic Church of St. Martin and Severus, a hall building from 1722, there are two supposedly from Munstermaifeld derived altarpieces: Peter altar of tufa (first half of the 17th century) and Marie Altar ( 1705). Each located at the three arterial roads or at the end of the main Star Ate a chapel. These were built around 1850 and in the 19th century and in 1937 by the family Esch on their land. The family had been tenants of the German Herrenhof and had been able to purchase this after the secularization.


Wolfgang Esch, The ash on the May Field, (forthcoming in Communications of the West German Society for Family Research )