Sankt Johann, Mayen-Koblenz
Sankt Johann is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Vordereifel, which has its administrative headquarters in Mayen.
St. Johann is situated in the conservation area " Rhein- Ahr -Eifel ". Through the village, west of the town, flows the puppet. At Sankt Johann includes the residential places Hammes Mill ( Löbsmühle ) and silver sand pit.
Sankt Johann finds its first mention in a document from 1348, but under the name " Oberbürresheim ", which derives from the nearby castle Bürresheim or the same rule, belonged to the Saint John until the end of the 18th century. Middle of the 15th century a church was built in the village, which was dedicated to John the Baptist and finally gave the place its new name: 1473 emerged the place name " Saint John " for the first time in a document on. From the 16th to the early 18th century, the St. Johann church also acted as a burial place for a genteel family of Breidbach - Bürresheim. Get the tombs and grave slabs of the following persons:
- Anne of Breidbach, born Kämmerin of Worms (d. 1562)
- Hans Jakob von Breidbach (d. 1588)
- Gertrude of Breidbach, born Schall von Bell (1552-1614)
- Johann Wilhelm von Breidbach (1581-1610)
- Wolff Henry of Breidbach (1583-1635)
- Anna Magdalena of Breidbach, born of Metzenhausen (d. 1673 )
- William of Breidbach (d. 1694 )
- Georg Reinhardt of Breidbach (1635-1710)
- Mary Margaret of Breidbach, née von der Leyen (d. 1691)
Especially in the first half of the 17th century Sankt Johann was affected by the persecution of witches, which was operated in the small rule Bürresheim with amazing intensity, not least by a woman, namely the already mentioned Gertud Schall von Bell.
In 1784 the old church was demolished due to disrepair and a new built 1784/1785. This was 1923/1924 an extension.
With the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire and the rule Bürresheim disappeared from the map. Sankt Johann was then finally after the Congress of Vienna, part of the Prussian Mayen. Located in the municipality Hochsimmer was the highest elevation in the county until after the dissolution and partial inclusion of the circle Adenau in 1932 the Hohe Acht took his place. According to the historical significance of the castle Bürresheim Sankt Johann gave the mayor the same name. Their headquarters was until 1898 Bell, then Niedermendig. Now " collective municipality Niedermendig " - called - In 1970, the unit was disbanded administration. Sankt Johann came to the new community association Mayen country (now municipality Vordereifel ) in the district of Mayen- Koblenz, the district Nitz Mayen became a town umgemeindet.
The development of the population of Saint John, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Sankt Johann consists of twelve council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 of personalized proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Allocation of seats in the local council:
Coat of arms
According to award certificate of Government President Koblenz the coat of arms shows a red basilisk on a silver shield. It corresponds to the coat of arms of the family of Breidbach who lived several centuries castle Bürresheim.
St. Johann is a predominantly Catholic embossed place, although there are now (especially immigration ) a Protestant minority of about 10% of the population.
- Castle Bürresheim
- Catholic parish church of St. John the Baptist