Virneburg is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Vordereifel, which has its administrative headquarters in Mayen.
- 3.1 municipal
- 3.2 Coat of Arms and Flag
- 4.1 Holy Trinity
- 4.2 castle ruins
- 4.3 Virne - castle path
The local church Virneburg lies in the volcanic Eifel. The nearest towns are about 15 km in the east of Mayen and 15 km to the west Adenau.
The average altitude is 402 m above sea level. The village lies in a valley - surrounded by four mountains, the brewing Mountain, Sheep Mountain, Muhlenberg and Bleiberg. In the middle of the town there is another mountain, on which the Virneburg stands. Through the town flows a stream called Nitz, which flows with Bürresheim Castle in the puppet. To the place are mainly forests, pastures and meadows.
Virneburg borders on the communes ( clockwise starting from the north ): Welschbach, Langenfeld, Mayen, shepherds, Luxembourg, Nachtsheim and Baar.
The history of the place Virneburg is closely connected with the story of the eponymous castle, whose ruins are regarded as landmark of the place. The castle was probably built in the second half of the 12th century and first mentioned in 1192. The borough was later at the foot of the castle hill.
In 1815 was awarded the Congress of Vienna, the Rhineland, and thus Virneburg the Kingdom of Prussia. Virneburg became the seat of mayor in 1816 newly built circle Adenau, also the seat of a peace court. At the mayor's Virneburg included the stains Virneburg, ten villages, 13 hamlets, five yards and two mills.
The development of the population of Virneburg, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Virneburg consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Coat of arms and flag
Blazon of arms: "Divided by silver and gold, on top of a flat green Dreienberg a border goldbekronter and blue reinforced red lion with a raised left front paw, down seven red diamonds ( 4:3). "
Flag description: " Hissflagge gold-red -gold in the ratio 1 /6: horizontally striped 1/6: 4/6. In the middle of the red stripe on the crest of the local church Virneburg. "
According to legend, the origin of the diamonds is explained: The Hungarians invaded in 933 to after cesarean Esch. Here they were beaten by a German army. This is particularly the Earl of Albick Virneburg did forth. To thank him, the emperor granted the coat of arms with 7 diamonds, symbolizing the long shields of defeated Hungary.
The coat of arms can still be found in many places, including in the churches in Wanderath, hamlets, Nachtsheim, Mayen, Monreal, Schleiden, in the chapel in Agree and the Cologne Cathedral. Furthermore, they adorn the arms of the local churches Arft, Anschau, Baar, Bermel, Boos, Ditscheid, Ettringen, Luxembourg, Monreal, Münk, Nachtsheim hamlets and Welling.
Until 1615 the coat of arms contained only the 7 red diamonds on gold. After that, the county came to Löwenstein -Wertheim and the lion was additionally included in the coat of arms.
June 26, 1990 Virneburg received approval to conduct a flag.
The Chapel of Holy Trinity is a baroque hall construction from the end of the 17th century.
In the center of Virneburg lies the ruins of the same name Virneburg, ancestral home of the Earls of Virneburg. It is located on a hill and is surrounded by the four surrounding Virneburger mountains: mountain surrounded shaft, Bleiberg, brewing mountain and Muhlenberg
Virne - castle path
The leading around Virneburg trail " Virne - castle path " was completed in the spring of 2008 as one of the Songlines of the district Mayen -Koblenz.
The 9.9 km long hiking trail leads over 313 meters and is a unique mix of forest and heathland.
In September 2008, the path to the traveling exhibition " Nature Tour " in Dusseldorf was elected to the trail of the Year 2008 in the category of day trips.
See also: List of cultural monuments in Virneburg
- Firemen Virneburg: The Volunteer Fire Virneburg is one of the five base fire departments of the municipality Vordereifel and responsible as such for the local communities Virneburg, shepherds, Baar and Herresbach.
- Daycare: In der Au is located on the town hall a daycare.