Langenfeld is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Vordereifel, which has its administrative headquarters in Mayen.
The place is located in the immediate vicinity of the village Arft. To Langenfeld includes the living spaces on Lesch and St. Jost- mill.
The place was first mentioned in 1052 as " Langenvelt ", as the Archbishop of Trier with Walram Eberhard I of Arlon completed a Prekarievertrag over possession in the Eifel and the lower Mosel. 1465 enfeoffed Archbishop Johann II Count Philip of Virneburg with the village Langenfeld. 1554 transferred to the Archbishop of Trier and Elector Johann V. the same fief to Count V. Diedrich of Schleiden as the owner of the county Virneburg. Diedrich V. tried in 1559 to introduce the Reformation, which he did not succeed in Langenfeld. For parish Langenfeld included the eight places, Arft, Long Scheid, Lower and Upper Welschbach.
The parish Langenfeld originally belonged as a fief of the Electorate of Trier to the county Virneburg. In 1575 the Elector of Trier pulled a the parish and imputed it to the jurisdiction of kurtrierischen Oberamt Mayen.
After 1792 French Revolution French troops had occupied the so-called left bank of the Rhine. After the introduction of the French administrative structures Langenfeld belonged from 1798 to 1814 for Canton Virneburg in the Rhine- Moselle department. Because of the Congress of Vienna (1815 ) agreements, the region came to the Kingdom of Prussia. Langenfeld belonged to the mayor's Virneburg in 1816 erected circle Adenau of the district of Koblenz and from 1822 to the Rhine province.
The development of the population of Langenfeld, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The original parish church is the present church cemetery. The oldest parts of the tower dated around 1400. The present parish church of St. Quirin and Dionysius was built from 1894 to 1898. It is also called because of their size " Eifel- Dom".
In the district of St. Jost Nitztal is the late Gothic chapel of St. Jost. Pilgrimages take place at the two last September and first week of October each year ends.
The local council in Langenfeld consists of twelve council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Coat of arms
Following a decision of the Municipal Council of 3 November 1975, the municipality Langenfeld 1976 was issued at the beginning of the approval certificate by the district government Koblenz to carry the coat of arms described below.
The Official Coat of Arms description is: " Split of blue and silver; right nine silver balls in two vertical rows (4: 5 ), left a red beams cross. "
Based on the coat of arms was a Langenfeld court seal from 1775, which was located in a document held by the Landeshauptarchiv Koblenz (stock 1 C No. 11454 p. 21). This court seal shows on the seal box a coat of arms with the kurtrierischen cross, covered with a half-length figure of the church patron Saint Quirinus. Based on this 200-year old historic seal the arms of the Elector of Trier was recorded (red cross on a silver shield ) in the coat of arms in the provided by the local church to the District Government for granting the license to run a coat of arms. In addition, the coat of arms was to be approved symbolic of the church patron Saint Quirinus nine silver balls, as Quirinus is often depicted as patron saint of Neuss as a Roman tribune with a sign with nine balls as the coat of arms of Neuss.
Near the chapel is the entrance to the depths of the mine tunnels Bendisberg. There, copper and lead ores were mined in the 19th century. The mine was with longer interruptions until 1957 in operation. The mine is in good condition and open for visitors.