Gappenach is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality May Field, which has its headquarters in the city Polch.


Gappenach is located about three kilometers north- west of the city Munstermaifeld and three and a half miles southeast of downtown Polch. The village stands on a gently sloping northeast to Nothbach terrain. Geographically, can the municipal area of ​​the gently undulating low Maifelder Valley assign. To Gappenach include residential places Birkenhof, Gänsmühle, Geismühle, flour mill and Neumühlestrasse.


In 1215, Heinrich von Gappenaco is called. Gappenach was an empire village, which were transferred in 1338 by the Counts of Virneburg.

About the history of Gappenach are extensive research. The Celtic name Gappiniacum should be derived from the personal name Gappius as a settlement of the Gappinius. Roman villas and Frankish graves were raised several times in the district to light. The first mention dates back to 1257, where in Gappenache a sheep is inherited. Beginning of the 13th century in appearance occurs based there knights ( three silver lilies as of Arms). In a large number of deeds of gift, the name is ( Gapinacha, Gabnach, Gappnach, Gabbenach etc.) throughout the Middle Ages. Long centuries Gappenach is referred to as " free imperial kingdom village," the representative on any high court of aldermen ( Heimburger ), since the emperor was supreme judge. Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian in 1338 had the place temporarily to Count Heinrich von Virneburg to.

In erzstiftischen fire book of 1563 Gappenach is expressly " imperial free" mentioned with 22 fireplaces with the addition. Only after 1589 the place comes into possession kurtrierischen and high court Munstermaifeld. In 1813 there were 49 houses and 268 people.

The local church, dedicated to St. Maximin, was built in 1670 with the involvement of older parts and a Romanesque tower. The old altar in the science of art called " Gappenacher altar " is a creation of the Moselle Renaissance sculptor Johannes Gross and is available after changeful fate since 1957 in the Bantus in the Bering Chapel of the Episcopal Generalvikariats, Trier.

In Gappenach existed in the Middle Ages a not insignificant bell foundry in which may also use items such as cans and Maifelder pewter dishes were prepared.

The development of the population of Gappenach, the values ​​from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:


Parish council

The local council in Gappenach consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.

Coat of arms

The local church leads since 1978 a coat of arms. The blazon is: "Under a silver shield with full main Red Cross in Black 3 (2:1) silver lilies. "

The red cross is reminiscent of the Electorate of Trier, while the lilies are taken from the seal of a Knight Arnold herring of Gappenach 1326.


The church is Romanesque in the core and has a door from the 13th century on.

See also: List of cultural monuments in Gappenach