Kaltenengers is a municipality in the district of Mayen -Koblenz in Rhineland- Palatinate. It lies north of Koblenz on the Rhine and is a little more than 2,000 inhabitants and an area of 3.07 km ², the smallest village in the municipality Weissenthurm. With the neighboring towns of St. Sebastian and Urmitz Kaltenengers belongs to the so-called Rhine villages.
Kaltenengers is opposite of Passengers left of the Rhine between Koblenz and Andernach at the level of river kilometers 600 and 601, the relatively low position between the Rhine and an old arm of the Rhine repeatedly leads to severe flooding, in which the location temporarily embraced almost entirely by water at high water is.
The place was first mentioned in 1302 as a small - Engers and 1438 records for the Callen - Engers, but is probably much older. The name indicates that the place as well as the neighboring community of St. Sebastian was part of the left bank of the possessions of the Engersgaus, which was last documented in the 8th century. From 1545 until the French occupation in 1794 belonged to the Electoral-Trier Kaltenengers Official Mountain Care. After a brief membership in the French Département de Rhin -et -Moselle the place in 1815 fell to Prussia, annexing it in 1822 in the Rhine Province. Since 1946 Kaltenengers is part of Rhineland- Palatinate then newly founded.
The local council in Kaltenengers consists of 16 council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 a proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Allocation of seats in the elected municipal council:
Coat of arms
The municipality operates since 1934 the current coat of arms: Above, a white anchor on a red ground, down a red cross on a white background. The anchor symbolizes the tradition of the Navigation of the Rhine, in the past, many inhabitants were active. The geometry generic red cross represents the long affiliation with the Archdiocese and the Electorate of Trier.
Church and education
As in all former kurtrierischen locations in the area, the population is also in Kaltenengers predominantly Catholic - about 70 percent compared to 16 percent of Protestants. 1869, the place of the parish was charged. The Catholic parish church of St. Sylvester was built in 1870 /71 and extended in the 1950s and modernized. Today the Catholic community forms a Pfarrverband with the neighboring communities Urmitz and Saint Sebastian.
The local community also has its own kindergarten and a four-year primary school.
About the provincial road 126 and county road 69 is connected to the B 9 via a bus line and since 2006 on the breakpoint Urmitz Rhine bridge of the Deutsche Bahn near the gleichnameigen Urmitzer Rhine bridge of the place is also back in the transport to the neighboring cities of Koblenz and Neuwied connected. A pedestrian and bicycle bridge to the bridge connects the village to the east of the Rhine district of Neuwied Engers. A previously existing passenger ferry between cold Engers Engers and presented the late 1960s, closed its doors.