The Herne station is located in the center of Herne.
The station was opened in 1847 along with the Cologne - Minden railway. It was located between the village of Herne with then about 1000 inhabitants and the water castle Strünkede. This first station was south of the present at the Von-der- Heydt - road. He also served as the terminal of the more southern city of Bochum, which received its own train station only 14 years later. Therefore, the station was until 1860 the name Herne Bochum.
On the morning of January 13 1925, drove the D10 from Berlin to Cologne on the P 230 from Dortmund to pan on. In this case, 24 people were killed - two of them later in the hospital - and 91 more were also injured.
Herne is now the only city in the Ruhr area, in which the DB travel centers operates two ( Station Herne and Wanne- Eickel Hauptbahnhof).
The station building
The current station building was built in 1914 by the Prussian state railways. It was modernized in 1970, the dome of the lobby was hidden behind a suspended ceiling construction, the windows were removed and bricked up the window openings. Then in the course of the International Building Exhibition Emscher Park came after 1990 to a professional restoration, the dome was re-opened, installed the windows again and until then sealed former waiting room 3rd class is open for special events again. In the rooms of up to December 2008 operated restaurant excursion train is since the end of 2009 a fast food restaurant. There is also a bakery in the building, a kiosk with lottery outlet and a betting office and with the involvement of the building on two sides complementary glass stem on the ground floor, a book and magazine stores and a tattoo parlor (former flower shop ).
Early as 1847 there was an account opened by the Cologne - Minden railway station building, which was, however, canceled in 1911 to make room for the present building.
The Image Window
Above the eastern entrance to the concourse a semi-circular, four pillars into five sections split window. The individual glass window of the Herner artist Jupp Gesing show motives of the former Zeche Friedrich the Great. One recognizes a harbor crane, a canal bridge, buildings and chimneys of coal mine system, two head frames, cooling towers, slag heaps and mine development houses. The windows were first installed in 1953, they were then donated by the mine Frederick the Great.
On Herner Bahnhof today runs the Rhein- Emscher- Express every hour to Hamm (Westphalia ) and Dusseldorf. The Emscher Valley Railway also runs every hour to Dortmund and Dorsten. The S2 runs in twenty -minute intervals to Dortmund, forks coming from Dortmund in Herne on and leaves from here on to Duisburg, Essen or Recklinghausen.
In addition, Herne Bf ( official designation stops in VRR), a major hub for urban transport. Stop here and end or start the following lines: The express bus 20 Vestische trams and also the city bus lines 303, 311, 312, 323, 333, 362 and 367 of the HCR and the bus line 390 of Bogestra. Just east of the station is also located the underground is a stop operated by the Bogestra U35, which establishes the connection to the train station to the city railway Bochum.