Isla Cristina is a Spanish city in the province of Huelva, in the autonomous region of Andalusia. On 1 January 2013 there lived 21 443 inhabitants. The city has an area of 49.36 km ² and a population density of 434 inhabitants. / Km ². The city is located away from the provincial capital, Huelva 3 m above sea level and 56 km.
Isla Cristina is strongly influenced by fishing. In summer, however, tripled the population when (mainly ) Spanish tourists spend their holidays here. International Tourism can be found 8 km east of the city on the beach of Islantilla, where a tourist center was built.
The place was in 1756, founded one year after the earthquake of Lisbon, from Catalan fishermen and initially called La Higuerita. In 1802 he was named an independent municipality in 1834 in Isla Cristina (in honor of the Queen of Spain ). Today it is the third largest city in the province of Huelva.
- Iglesia de Nuestra Señora de los Dolores - The facade of the church, which is reminiscent of the colonial style, dates from the 20th century ( circa 1955 )
- Iglesia de Nuestro Padre Jesús del Gran Poder - The church was built in the 20th century Andalusian- style diocesan.
- Paseo de las Palmeras - The promenade in the old town.
- Marshes de Isla Cristina - The marshland is protected and can be hiked on the marked trails.