Ayamonte is a Spanish city in the province of Huelva, in the autonomous region of Andalusia. On 1 January 2013 there lived 20,406 inhabitants. The city has an area of 142 km ² and a population density of 144 inhabitants. / Km ². The town lies at the mouth of the Guadiana River into the Atlantic Ocean, and thus on the border with Portugal. The provincial capital, Huelva, there are 48 to Sevilla 140 km.
In Roman times, the mouth of the Guadiana River, the ostium Fluminis Anae was known. From there introduced an important trade route north to Merida. It is believed that Ayamonte has occupied a strategically important position at this time.
In 1239, the Moorish rule was ended by troops of King Sancho II of Portugal and the place subject to the Order of Santiago. 1263 put to the river as border between Portugal and Spain firmly, and the village came under the sovereignty of the Crown of Castile. First, it belonged to the county of Niebla, but later formed its own Margraviate.
In 1664 she was also awarded city rights by King Philip IV.
The place is located a few kilometers south of the Spanish motorway A- 49th Since 1991, the Puente Internacional del Guadiana connects the city with the Portuguese side of the river. A small car ferry provides an alternative way to get to Vila Real de Santo António.
- Ermita de San Sebastian - The chapel was built in the late 16th century of broken stone.
- Parish Church of Anguish - The most important church of the city was built in the mid 16th century and has Mudejar and Renaissance elements. There is also the patroness of Ayamonte.
- Convento de Santa Clara - A monastery dating from the 19th century.
- Templo de la Merced - The church was built in the early 17th century. Worth mentioning is the reredos in Baroque style.
- Parroquia del Salvador - The parish church was built around 1400 on the ruins of a mosque. A mixture of different styles can be seen.
- Torre de Canela - A fortified tower dating from the 16th century on the road towards the beach.
- Casa Grande - In the style of Cadizer town houses built in the late 18th century. Office of the Municipal Library and the Cultural Office.
- Palacio de los Marquis of Ayamonte - Former residence of the Marquis of Ayamonte.
- Plaza de la Laguna - The main town square where the Town Hall is to be found.
Plaza de la Laguna
At the Paseo de la Ribera
Parish Church of Anguish
High altar in the Templo de la Merced
Bridge over the Guadiana
Sons and daughters of the town
- Antonio León Ortega (1907-1991), sculptor
- Florencio Aguilera (1947 )