Kyle Eugene Petty ( born June 2, 1960 in Randleman, North Carolina ) is a former American NASCAR driver. He is the son of racing legend Richard Petty, grandson of Lee Petty, and father of the deceased Adam Petty. He is currently working as an expert and commentator for NASCAR Sprint Cup race at the U.S. television channel TNT. He is the founder of the Victory Junction Gang Camp.
Relatively quickly decided Petty, to follow in the large footsteps of his father Richard. He won in 1979 in the ARCA at Daytona International Speedway his first major race. He took advantage of a used Dodge Magnum, who previously served even his father a year. A little later he tried known to enter the Winston Cup, now Sprint Cup as. However, due to an accident in qualifying, he succeeded only after a few attempts to qualify for a race. The Talladega 500 at Talladega Superspeedway, which was then called Alabama International Motor Speedway, was his first Winston Cup race. He started out as a 18 and came in at number nine to the finish, a result that was hoping that his career could be as large as that of his father.
The great success was in the years that followed, however, from. Until 1984, he brought his Petty Enterprises only four times in the top 5 with the start of the 1985 season he moved to the Wood Brothers. A year later he won his first race, the Miller High Life 400 The following year at the Wood Brothers were the best of his career. The victory in Richmond should still seven more to follow, all three of them at the North Carolina Speedway in the years 1990 to 1992. Moreover, he won the Wood Brothers, the first and only pole position of his career. Eight times he started first, first he succeeded in March 1990 in the Goodwrench 500 at North Carolina Speedway.
In 1997 he returned to Petty Enterprises, but with a car. This car has been completely then later incorporated into Petty Enterprises and Kyle was appointed Chief Executive Officer of the race team.
In 1998, the son of Kyle Petty, Adam Petty 's NASCAR career began. He had some very good races, even one in the Winston Cup, and it looked as though he could just as well be like his father. However, Adam Petty died tragically in 2000 at a training for NASCAR Busch Grang National Series race at the New Hampshire International Speedway. Then Kyle Petty drove with the number of his son, the # 45 in the Cup series. In the following years, Kyle Petty and his wife Pattie try to realize the vision of his son, and founded the Victory Junction Gang Camp, a facility for terminally ill children. On 27 May 2007, he learned to third place in the Coca- Cola 600. It was his best NASCAR placement since 1997 and his first top 5 result in the # 45, the car of his son Adam.
Since 2007 he works as an expert and commentator for the Sprint Cup broadcasts of the U.S. TV channel TNT. In the summer of 2008 it was rumored that he could be replaced due to the decreasing performance in the Sprint Cup. This was denied by Petty Enterprises at first, but ended Petty at the end of the season his career.
Teams and sponsors
- Petty Enterprises: 1979-1984; 1997 - today
- Wood Brothers: 1985-1988
- STP: 1979-1982
- 7- Eleven: 1983-1986
- Citgo: 1987-1988
- Peak Antifreeze: 1989-1990
- Mello Yello: 1991-1994
- Coors Light: 1995-1996
- Hot Wheels :1997 -2000
- Sprint: 2001-2002
- Georgia-Pacific: 2003-2005
- The Schwan Food Company: 2006
- Marathon Petroleum Company: 2006 -present
- Wells Fargo: 2006 -present
- National Tire and Battery, Tire Kingdom: 2006 -present
- Merchants Tire / Auto Centers: 2006 -present
- Coca -Cola: 2006 -present
- Chick- fil-A: 2006 -present
- He did not like many other drivers his name on the side window, but the name of his son Adam, as the # 45 whose car was.
- He always travels in a mostly black car at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway, the place where his son died.
- In 1995, the band Soundgarden released a song about Kyle Petty, titled Kyle Petty, Son Of Richard.
- Kyle Petty was only the second driver, the main character in a video game was. The game is Kyle Petty 's No Fear Racing for the Super Nintendo.
- His cousin Ritchie Petty was also in the Winston Cup active.
- In the Brickyard 400 of 1996 Kyle Petty had a serious accident on the 39th lap. He had to be fetched by rescue workers from the car. When the rescuers were about to place him on the stretcher, he complained of great pain, what the rescue workers confused. Because of the pain: One of the helpers was standing with one foot on Petty's ponytail.
- Kyle Petty was involved in the production of the current at each race weekend NASCAR broadcast Tradin 'Paint on the U.S. SPEED Channel.