Long stretches are in athletics, the running trails above a mile (1609 m).
- Railway runs, of which the most important are the distances discharged at the Olympic Games and international championships 5000 m and 10,000 m
- Obstacle courses ( with 3000 m as a standard distance)
- Road runs with the marathon as an Olympic discipline
The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF ) results except through the above-mentioned distances record lists the following routes:
- Web run: 2000 m, 3000 m, 20,000 m, 25,000 m, 30,000 m and hours running
- Road Race: 10 km, 15 km, 20 km, half marathon ( 21.097 km ), 25 km, 30 km and 100 km
Other popular distances in road run 5 km, 8 km (or 5 miles), 10 miles ( 16.093 km ) and 50 km.
Also for long-distance running include cross-country or cross runs that were 1912-1924 Olympic discipline and so today is as a sub-discipline of the modern pentathlon yet. Another former Olympic event was the 3000 -meter team running.
In addition, there are also long-distance relay races as originating from Japan Ekiden.