Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation
- James Stewart: Roger Hobbs
- Maureen O'Hara: Peggy
- Fabian: Joe
- Lauri Peters: Katey Hobbs
- John Saxon: Byron
- John McGiver: Martin Turner
- Marie Wilson: Mrs. Emily Turner
- Reginald Gardiner: Reggie McHugh
- Michael Burns: Danny Hobbs
- Minerva Urecal: Brenda
- Valerie Varda: Marika
- Josh Peine: Stan
- Lili Gentle: Janie
- Natalie Trundy: Susan
- Richard Collier: Mr. Kagle
Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation is a comedy film based on the novel Father Holiday (Original Title: Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation ) by Edward Streeter. Premiere date was in West Germany in June 1962 at the International Film Festival in Berlin.
Mr Roger Hobbs, a hard-working family man plans for himself and his wife Peggy a world tour. But this makes him a spanner in the works: You want something for the whole family including grandchildren on holiday in a cottage by the sea. This, however, turns out upon arrival as dump. The battered housekeeper is shocked and flees after a short time. In addition, Mr. Hobbs also loses a boat trip with his son in the fog, the orientation and comes only with happiness back to the harbor. The manager of his son, Mr. Turner, and his wife arrive in the house and provide further complications. And so it will be a vacation with lots of surprises and little rest for Mr Hobbs.
- Lexicon of international film: The " joys " of a troubled father who makes holiday with his loved ones in an old shack on the seashore. Despite the predictable plot progression a delightful, fast staged comedy.
- Adolf Meier Heinzl and Berndt Schulz in Lexicon " Movies on TV " ( Extended edition ). Rasch and Röhring, Hamburg 1990, ISBN 3-89136-392-3, p 570: ". Netter entertainment movie (...) Well staffed, role sure amusing " ( Score: 2 stars = average )
The film was quite successful already in America and played in the aftermath of its release on June 15, 1962 a total of U.S. $ 4,000,000 at an estimated production cost of only U.S. $ 2 million. Even greater was the success overseas. James Stewart won the Silver Bear for Best Actor at the 12th International Film Festival in Berlin for his performance and director Henry Koster was nominated for best director. Stewart was also nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Lead Actor in a Comedy.
The film's success inspired a series of cheerful family comedy starring James Stewart as about a 1 In Love (1963) and mistress Brigitte ( 1965), again directed by Henry Koster.
- Henry Mancini, Johnny Mercer: Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation. Original Motion Picture Soundtrack. Intrada, Oakland 2003, Media -No. Intrada Special Collection # 11 - digitally enhanced original recording of film music