The course included two extremely long straights and a challenging, twisty section through the villages in the hinterland of the Adriatic coast. The streets were narrow and uneven. The length of almost 26 kilometers, is the largest for a Formula 1 track at all.
The first race for the Coppa Acerbo was discharged in 1924. It won Enzo Ferrari Alfa Romeo RL. After the race was part of the Grand Prix Championship and until the Second World War, contributed the likes of Giuseppe Campari, Tazio Nuvolari and Luigi Fagioli for Alfa Romeo, Achille Varzi and Bernd Rosemeyer one for Auto Union and Rudolf Caracciola Mercedes- Benz in the winners' list. In the years 1950, 1951 and 1954 here Formula 1 races have been held, but did not count for the World Championship. The race officially counted in 1957 to the World Cup and was discharged as a Grand Prix of Pescara. The race attracted more than 200,000 spectators.
The last race on this track was a 4 -hour race in 1961, which ranked the World Sportscar Championship and was won by Lorenzo Bandini and Giorgio Scarlatti. After the route was canceled as a motor sport venue, as it was impossible for the organizers to ensure the safety of drivers and spectators.