Philippa of Lancaster
Philippa of Lancaster (Portuguese Filipa de Lancastre; * March 31, 1360 in Leicester Castle, † July 19, 1415 in Sacavém ) was Princess of England and Queen of Portugal. As the daughter of John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster it comes from the house of Anjou - Plantagenet ( Lancaster House ). She was a sister of King Henry IV of England and half-sister of Catharine of Lancaster, Queen of Castile ( the wife of King Henry III. Castile ).
Your name suggests that it was probably a godson of Queen Philippa of Hainault. At birth, Blanche was probably accompanied by a midwife who was referred by her father in a letter as " Ilote the wise woman" and in the ducal register as "our well-beloved Elyot the midwife of Leycestre ". After the death of her mother, in which Philippa was only eight years old, she was initially cared for by Alyne Gerberge, the wife of a duke's squire. Later, Catherine Swynford is named as a governess for her and her younger sister Elizabeth, who had held that post proved in July 1376 and still in 1380/81.
In February 1387, she married John I of Portugal and so was Queen of Portugal ( as a wife, not as regent in its own right ). The marriage was arranged mainly for political reasons by her father to seal the year before received in the Treaty of Windsor Anglo- Portuguese alliance against France, supported by Castile final.
Philippa and John had nine children:
- Blanca (* July 13, 1388, † 1389 )
- Alfons (* July 30, 1390, † November 22, 1400 )
- Eduard ( * October 31, 1391, † September 9, 1438 ), King of Portugal 1433-1438
- Peter (* December 9, 1392, † May 20, 1449 ), Duke of Coimbra, the Portuguese Prince Regent from 1439 to 1449
- Henry the Navigator (* March 4, 1394, † November 13, 1460 ), Duke of Viseu
- Isabella ( * February 21, 1397, † December 17, 1471 ), Duchess of Burgundy and mother of Charles the Bold
- Blanca (* 1398 )
- Johann (* January 13, 1400, † October 18, 1442 ), Duke of Aveiro
- Ferdinand of Avis (* September 29, 1402, † June 5, 1443 ), Grand Master of Avizordens
Phillipa is the only woman whose statue in Padrão dos Descobrimentos is seen in Lisbon.