Rickie Lee Jones
Life and work
Jones, who walked away from the age of 14 at home, moved in the late 1970s to Los Angeles, where she painted with a program of spoken, with Beat, monologues occurred. Your embossed of folk, jazz and rhythm & blues debut album was released in 1979. Chuck E. Weiss was the title character of her hit " Chuck E. 's in Love" contained therein. In the song, it is said that he was in love with the "little girl singing this song ." She called the content of the song fictitious. At this early music greats such as Dr. John, Michael Boddicker and Randy Newman keyboards, and Steve Gadd already played the drums. Michael McDonald ( Doobie Brothers) sang for RLJ the backing vocals. She lived at this early stage in Los Angeles at the Tropicana Hotel with her then-boyfriend Tom Waits, deeply rooted in a rain music scene, influenced by artists such as Jackson Browne, Warren Zevon, Frank Zappa, The Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, and many more. In 1980 she was nominated for a Grammy, among other things in the categories for best new artist and best album.
Another important influence is Sal Bernardi. They met around 1975 know. About him she wrote in the 1970s, " Weasel And The White Boys Cool". In the early 1980s, he began touring with Jones and work in the studio. Their collaboration led to compositions such as " Traces of the Western Slopes " from the 1982 album Pirates and " Theme for the Pope" by The Magazine of 1984, "Flying Cowboys ", the title track of the eponymous album from 1990, " Tiger" and " Beat Angels "from the album Traffic from Paradise (1993). In 1990, without his involvement Album Pop pop with jazz standards like " Dat There" or " Bye Bye Blackbird", in which she was accompanied by Robben Ford, Charlie Haden and tenor saxophonist Joe Henderson.
In 2003, she published in response to the controversial U.S. President George W. Bush Album Evening of My Best Day, in which they accompanied Ry Cooder and Bill Frisell.
With The Sermon On Exposition Boulevard, released on Blue Rose, Jones rose to number 70 on the German album charts in April 2007. For Jones, this is so far the first place among the Top 100 on the album charts in Germany. For her 2009 album, " Balm In Gilead " Ben Harper, Victoria Williams, Jon Brion, Alison Krauss and shortly before his death, Vic Chesnutt contributed. The Daily Mirror (UK ) summarized the work as follows: " 30 years after her stunning debut, Chuck E 's in Love ' remains Jones a unique talent that uses the chance to fully blossom with these songs full of innocence and experience. Songs written over a period of 20 years - sometimes good things need time to mature. "
Jones is from time to time on a European tour in Germany go ( most recently in July 2013).
- Rickie Lee Jones - 1979
- Pirates - 1981
- The Magazine - 1984
- Flying Cowboys - 1989
- Pop Pop - 1991
- Traffic From Paradise - 1993
- Naked Songs - 1995
- Ghostyhead - 1997
- It's Like This - 2000
- The Evening of My Best Day - 2003
- Duchess Of Coolsville: An Anthology - 2005 (47 tracks on 3 CDs: 3 hrs rarities, studio demos and previously unreleased recordings)
- The Sermon on Exposition Boulevard - 2007
- Balm in Gilead - 2009
- The Devil You Know - 2012
- New album for 2014 in preparation
- Rare Space ( first European Tour ) - 1979
- Europe 1982 Montreux, CH - 1982
- LA Live - 1992
- Hamburg From Germany - 1992
- Chain Austin Portland, OR & Devore, CA - Summer 1996
- Joe 's Pub, N.Y.C. - 1999
- The Chicago Sessions - September 15, 1999
- Live In Portland, OR - September 16, 2000
- Seattle with Joe Jackson 2 CD - June 3, 2000
- Philadelphia 2 CD - December 8, 2000
- Berlin, Palais in culture Brewery - Radio One recording - December 10, 2003
- Copenhagen 2006 - June 19, 2006