The Rijksmuseum Amsterdam or Rijksmuseum [ ze ː ˌ rɛi̯ksmy jʏm ] ( German Reich Museum ) is a Dutch national museum located on the Museumplein in Amsterdam Oud -Zuid district of Amsterdam Zuid. The museum is dedicated to arts, craft and history. It preserves a large collection of paintings from the Golden Age of the Netherlands and an extensive collection of Asian art objects and artifacts to Dutch history. The museum was declared a Rijksmonument. It has around 970,000 visitors a year and is about 8,000 exhibits. After extensive renovations it was reopened on 13 April 2013.
- 4.1 Schiphol
- 4.2 Huis Tromp Burgh
The museum was founded in 1800 in The Hague to exhibit the collections of the Dutch governor. The foundation was inspired by the French models of the era. The museum was initially under the name National Art Gallerij ( National Art Gallery ) is known. The facility was finally brought to the King Louis Bonaparte command to Amsterdam. At this time came the painting of the city of Amsterdam in the collection; the most famous example, the Night Watch by Rembrandt van Rijn is ( briefly called Rembrandt ).
Building by Pierre Cuypers
1863 architectural competition for a new museum building was announced, however, the draft fell short of expectations. The late architect Pierre Cuypers also participated in this contest and then reached with his work only the second place. The design was a combination of Gothic and Renaissance elements. The final selection and the construction lasted until October 1, 1876. The building received both from the inside and from the outside rich decorations, which emulated at the Dutch art history. They had been in a selected additional competition, which was won by B. van Hove and JF VERMEYLEN for the sculptures, G. Sturm for painting and W. F. Dixon for glass design.
The new building was finally opened on 13 July 1885.
The front of the museum is directed to Stadhouderskade. The back has a prominent position on the Museumplein. Is framed building from the Van Gogh Museum, the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam and the Concertgebouw.
1890, the new building was added to a building that was built from demolished historic buildings. The elements used to give an overview of the Dutch history of architecture.
The hall for the night watch was renewed in 1906. Most of the colorful murals were painted over 1920-1950. In 1960 they built the exhibition rooms and several hallways to two large rooms. The building itself was subjected to in 1984, 1995 and 1996 and 2000 minor renovations and restorations.
From 2003 to 2013, the museum was again renovated according to plans by Spanish architects Antonio Cruz and Antonio Ortiz and completely gutted. Many of the old interior decorations have been restored there. While these measures only parts of the collection of paintings were accessible. The exhibition The Masterpieces was in the already finished rooms of today " Philips Wing " said part of the building. The renovation was meant to be already completed in 2008. In particular, protests by cyclists whose route ran in the Oud-Zuid district of the grounds, led to extensive re-planning and Bauverzögereungen. Instead of the originally planned cycling route around the museum a passage for pedestrians and cyclists has been integrated into the building.
In the spring of 2013 was completed the renovation and complete redesign of the museum after ten years. The re-opening by Queen Beatrix, the last major public appearance of the monarch before her planned for late April abdication, took place on 13 April 2013.
The exhibition area of about 14,500 square meters, was not enhanced by the renovation.
The Rijksmuseum has, like many other museums also own library for research purposes. The Rijksmuseum Research Library is the largest public research library on the subject of art history in the Netherlands. The web directory which library currently includes approximately 140,000 monographs, 3,200 journals and 20,000 art sales catalogs.
With the start of renovations in 2003 there was the library in the Frans van Mierisstraat 92, but is now back in the main building of the museum.
The collections include not only the painting and art in the Netherlands, Dutch history, the colonial history of the Netherlands and the art in the colonial territories. A special feature is the hall of the marine models ( Marine Model Kamer ) with about 1600 objects dar. About 1 million objects in the possession of the museum, of which 8000 are issued.
For the collection of paintings include works by Jacob van Ruysdael, Frans Hals, Jan Vermeer, Jan Steen, Rembrandt van Rijn, Rembrandt and students.
The collection includes paintings by Rembrandt van Rijn:
- The Night Watch
- The head of the Tuchmacherzunft
- The Jewish Bride
- Apostle Peter denies Christ
- Jeremiah lamenting the destruction of Jerusalem
- Saskia with veil
- Titus as a Monk
- Self Portrait as the Apostle Paul
- Tobias and Anna with the Goat
To Jan Vermeer following paintings are in the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam:
- The Love Letter
- Letter reader in Blue
- The Little Street
From Frans Hals paintings:
- Portrait of a young couple
- The Company of Reynier Real
- The Merry Drinker
- Portrait of Lucas De Clercq
- Portrait of Nicolaes Hasselaer
- Portrait of a man
From the painter Jan Steen painting in the collection of the following are present:
- The feast of St. Nicholas
- The Drunk Couple
- The morning toilet
- Adolf and Catharina Croeser
- Arent Oostwaard and his wife
- Children who teach a cat to dance,
- The Three Crosses by Rembrandt van Rijn
The Rijksmuseum maintains a small office in a terminal of Schiphol. Admission is free. It was opened by the then Prince Willem -Alexander, now the King on December 9, 2002. Passengers who have passed through passport control, you can visit a small, ever-changing exhibition here. Schiphol Airport is the first airport with such a museum branch.
Huis Tromp Burgh
On 1 September 2006 the Rijksmuseum took over the facilities and management of Huis Tromp Pittsburgh. Besides small exhibitions, the house can be used for conferences.