Rue de Rivoli, Paris
The Rue de Rivoli ( engl street of Rivoli ) is a street in the 1st and the 4th arrondissement of Paris and is still one of the major urban centers of the city.
Building and history
The buildings on the street were laid with continuous arcades after the architectural model of the Place des Vosges at the express instruction Napoléon Bonaparte, who was then First Consul of the French Republic and as part of his pioneering domestic reforms made the forward-looking plan, through large-scale urban projects the city Paris not only fundamentally modernize but also to beautify comprehensively.
The decision to build this road was taken on October 9, 1801, and later the project part of the urban development plan of Baron Haussmann was. The design was based on a decree of April 21, 1802 according to designs by the architect Charles Percier. First, the section of road near the Louvre and to the west of it was created 1806-1835. The eastern section of road is taken from the time of Charles X., of Louis Philippe and Napoleon III. First building in which the arcades construction were noted originated from 1811. Necessary expropriations were approved by a law dated October 4, 1849 and a decree of 23 December 1852. The entire street was passed in 1865 with the original name Rue Imperiale circulation. Your name later Rue de Rivoli she owes to the Italian town of Rivoli, Verona, near which led by Napoleon French revolutionary army had defeated on 14 and 15 January 1797 in the Battle of Rivoli, the Austrians decisively.
The " Hôtel Meurice " ( Rue de Rivoli 228) was since August 9, 1944 District of the City Commandant of the German governor Dietrich von Choltitz, the clock at 14.45, signed the capitulation on 25 August 1944. Choltitz handed the French a virtually unspoiled capital. The fate of Stalingrad, Warsaw and Berlin remained spared Paris, although it had to be destroyed by leaders command. General of Choltitz sabotaged the leader command, Paris to defend to the last man and it razed to the ground, with a rare in his profession expense of sophistication. He covered the high personal risk of disobedience.
The Rue de Rivoli is one of the most famous shopping streets of the city. Near the Louvre there are numerous shops selling souvenirs for tourists. The last stage of the annual Tour de France via the Rue de Rivoli to the finish at the nearby Arc de Triomphe.
The road takes you past some of the major attractions of the city. The following descriptions were arranged from east to west.
- The Hôtel de Ville, the Town Hall of Paris, comes from the late 19th century.
- The Saint-Jacques Tower is from the early 16th century. It is a remnant of the demolished in 1797, Church of Saint-Jacques -la- Boucherie.
- The department store La Samaritaine is located between the Rue de Rivoli, leading to the Pont Neuf Rue de la Monnaie and the Quai du Louvre. It was built in the years 1928-1930 according to the plans of Frantz Jourdain in the form of a stone-clad steel structure in the Art Deco style and is to be converted into a hotel in 2016.
- The church of St. Germain l'Auxerrois was built from the 12th century until the 15th century. It was rebuilt in the years 1500-1530 and again around the year 1754 and in the 19th century.
- The Louvre houses one of the largest museums in the world. Just off the Rue de Rivoli is the northern Richelieu wing of the 17th century, which was extended in the 19th century by Louis Tullius Visconti and Hector Lefuel up to the Tuileries. Up to the 1980s, it was the seat of the Treasury.
- Directly opposite the Richelieu wing of the Louvre to the Place du Palais -Royal was enlarged in 1852. The Palais Royal is located at this place. Is the Louvre des Antiquaires, a converted into a shopping arcade former department store on the east side of the square. It is home to about 250 antique shops on three levels.
- The houses opposite the Louvre and Tuileries Gardens were built uniformly at the beginning of the 19th century by Charles Percier. They include arcades on the ground floor.
- On the Place des Pyramides on the north side of the Rue de Rivoli is a gilded equestrian statue of the patron saint Joan of Arc, which was created in 1874 by Emmanuel Frémiet. Not far from this place Jeanne d' Arc was wounded on September 8, 1429.
- Steeped in history Hôtel Le Meurice was built in 1835 here.
In the film,
The Rue de Rivoli is often seen as a location in films. The gangster film you chez les hommes rififi ( German: Rififi; French premiere: April 13, 1955 ) shows for 32 minutes to break into a local jewelry store, as wordlessly four burglars clear away the stolen goods. The film Julia ( U.S. Premiere: October 20, 1977) shows the Hôtel le Meurice and the road, Diva (France: March 11, 1981) shows the arcades, Midnight in Paris (May 11, 2011), many buildings lying on the road.
It extends to a length of 3.07 kilometers and a width of 20.78 meters in east-west direction between the Rue de Sévigné and the Place de la Concorde; the eastern extension of the axis, the Rue Saint- Antoine, leads to the Place de la Bastille. The western continuation of the Avenue Gabriel, a road parallel to the Avenue des Champs- Élysées. In parallel with the Rue de Rivoli runs the Métro line 1 with the stops ( from east to west ) Saint -Paul, Hôtel de Ville, Châtelet, Louvre -Rivoli, Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre, Tuileries and Concorde.