The Salian - not to be confused with the Salian Franks 3 / 4 Century, which led to the name Salian first - were a ostfränkisches noble family in the Holy Roman Empire from the 10th to the 12th century. Its trunk area was Speyergau, Wormsgau and Nahegau. Later they were phased Dukes of Lorraine and Franconia. From 1027 to 1125 came the Holy Roman Emperor from this generation.
Very likely that the emergence of a name associated with the Merovingian Clovis I and the people of law adopted by it, the Salic Law. After that was soon understood under Frankish salicus. According to the chronicler Otto of Freising, the chief of the Franks were called Salian. The surname first appears with dynastic terms beginning of the 12th century as rex salicus or lively salici in the Chronicle of Ekkehard of Aura and was able to prevail in the late Middle Ages as the name of the dynasty. The name then was referring only to Conrad II and his descendants. A long assumed connection with the Salian Franks could not be proven.
The Salian considered as German side line of the powerful become in Italy Widonen or Lambertiner (including the dukes of Spoleto / Umbria, King of Neustria / West of France, King of Pavia / Lombardy ) and were associated with the mother of Conrad the Red intermarried with the Konradihaus Africans. By his marriage with Liutgard, the daughter of Otto the Great, and his appointment to the Duke of Lorraine Conrad was the founder of the Red race. He was the great-grandfather of Conrad II, who was King of the East Frankish - 1024 German Empire and in 1027 the first emperor of the dynasty of the Salian. Already with the royal election of 1002 his grandfather Otto of Worms had been considered a possible candidate. Conrad II was later also King of Italy from 1033 and King of Burgundy. When he died in 1039, he bequeathed to his son Henry III. a well-established rule. The establishment of the Speyer Cathedral, the crypt was used as a grave place of the Holy Roman kings until 1308, probably goes back to him.
The decline of the Salian IV was initiated by a dispute with the Pope Henry (see Investiture Controversy, Walk to Canossa ). Henry V, the last Salierkönig, reigned until 1125th On the rule of the Salian followed as a transition of the axis Lothar III. and after him the Hohenstaufen Conrad III. , who was about his mother, the daughter of Henry IV, a nephew of the last Salian Emperor Henry V..
The most important family members
- Werner I ( prefect of the eastern country )
- Werner IV ( Count in Wormsgau )
- Werner V. ( Count in Speyer and Wormsgau up to 935 )
- Conrad the Red ( Duke of Lorraine 944-953 † Battle of Lechfeld 955 )
- Otto ( Duke of Carinthia 978-983 and 995-1004 )
- Heinrich ( Count in Wormsgau to 990 /1000)
- Bruno (as Gregory V, Pope 996-999 )
- William ( Bishop of Strasbourg 1028/1029-1047 )
- Conrad I of Carinthia ( Duke of Carinthia from 1004 to 1011 )
- Conrad II (Roman - German king 1024, emperor 1027-1039 )
- Conrad II the Younger of Carinthia ( Duke of Carinthia from 1036 to 1039 )
- Bruno of Würzburg ( Bishop of Würzburg 1034-1045 )
- Henry III. (Roman - German co-regent from 1028, king from 1039, emperor 1046-1056 )
- Henry IV (Roman - German King from 1056, emperor 1084-1106 )
- Conrad of Bavaria ( Duke of Bavaria from 1054 to 1055 )
- Konrad ( Roman- German co-regent from 1087 to 1098 )
- Henry V (Roman - German King from 1098, emperor 1111-1125 )