Unterammergau is a community in the Upper Bavarian district of Garmisch -Partenkirchen and the seat of the administrative community Unterammergau.
The main village is located in Unterammergau Ammertal the river Ammer at an altitude of 836 m above sea level. NN. The hamlets of Kappel of bunting and Scherenau The commune includes the right to the left of bunting. Unterammergau itself consists essentially of three parts:
- The upper village, the oldest part of the village around the parish church of St. Nicholas around
- Behind the village, a Scheduled Monument Ensemble north of Pürschlingstraße
- Au right of bunting.
The municipality has an area of 29.90 Unterammergau km ² and 1539 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012), that is 51 inhabitants per km ². It forms together with the community Ettal managing community Unterammergau.
The municipality covers next to the Ammer Valley and the surrounding mountains. The highest elevations are the Teufelstättkopf and neighboring Laubeneck both. Having a height of 1758 m For Unterammergau local mountain, the Pürschling ( 1566 m), leads up a forest road.
Among the streams that down the mountains in the Ammer flow, left counting the bunting of Früllbach, the grinding mill Laine and the scissors Auer Laine and right of the Ammer cornered Laine, the Kappel Laine and Laine forest.
The place Unterammergau was first mentioned in 1280 as Nidernambergewe documented and belonged until 1803 to Hofmark Oberammergau, the part of the court rule Murnau Ettal Monastery was. The ecclesiastical independence of Oberammergau reached the place in the year 1809. 1818 originated in the course of administrative reform in the Kingdom of Bavaria, the current community.
Two great local fires destroyed in 1777 and 1836 many of the old houses Unterammergaus. After the fire of 1835 the village was rebuilt back in uniform design, it stands as a historical monument ensemble.
In addition to the land and timber business formed from the 15th to mid-20th century, the Wetzsteinmacherei an important source of income. It was operated primarily as an ancillary activity in the winter months, where agriculture rested.
The policy of Unterammergau is strongly determined by local Bügervereinigungen. Of the major parties, only the CSU is represented on the council.
First Mayor Michael Gansler of the FDU ( Advanced village community Unterammergau ), almost 80 % of the vote won in the local elections of 2008. As deputy mayor supports him Anton Spear, Junior, of the Free Wählergemeinschaft FUZ ( For Unterammergaus future).
The council currently has (without first mayor) twelve members (as the municipal election on March 2, 2008). 3 of them are from the CSU, 4 of the FDU, 4 of the FUZ and one of the FWU ( Free electorate Unterammergau ).
An own coat of arms leads Unterammergau since 1953 The blazon is:. . " In green to jump diagonally crossed silver tools, sharpening stone and hammer with golden style, accreting Direction silver stag with golden arms, hind feet on silver base plate " The green Feldtingierung reflects the natural environment the resort, meadows and forests. On the abundance of wildlife and hunting opportunities suggests the crucial deer. The silver floor is reference to the plate layers with silica and quartz content. They formed the starting material for the Wetzsteinindustrie from the 15th century until 1950. Likewise found the hammer as a tool and the whetstone as the product input, as the centuries flourishing trade helped the town to fame and prosperity.
Unterammergau is located on the main road 23, which is a part of the connection between Garmisch -Partenkirchen and Augsburg.
About the Station Unterammergau the community is connected to the Ammergaubahn that runs between Oberammergau and Murnau.
Despite the two village fires are still some buildings from the 17th - 18th Receive century. Some have as in the neighboring village of Oberammergau painted with Lüftlmalerei facades. About 35 buildings are listed buildings, they are listed in the list of monuments in Unterammergau.
In addition to the main church of St. Nicholas and the Sanctuary of the Holy Blood, there are many smaller chapels and shrines, they are in Unterammergau as corridor monuments. To their opening two chapels and Marterlwege were established on both sides of the river Ammer.
On notice boards at the entrance to Schleifmühlklamm the wanderer learns important from the time of whetstone industry:
The Wetzsteinmacherei was 300 years, a significant craft in Unterammergau branch. It formed the basis for prosperity in the place and found the emblem entrance. Probably gold or silver between " blind rock " plate layers was discovered during the search of the precious metals which their aptitude for sharpening. The silica contained in this rock had the sharpening properties and the quartz content contained prevented the breaking. Only 10 percent of the excavated material from the 1865 existing 52 quarries was to use the Wetzsteinherstellung. Especially in the Schleifmühlklamm the mined precious stone layers were processed into the coveted grindstones and exported to many countries. In painstakingly by hand craftsmen set 200 000: her 38 whetstones. This happened in the grinding mills which used the existing hydropower. 40 families subsisted 1865 in 32 mills from grinding stones in addition to the income from agriculture.
The decline of the Wetzsteinmacherei came through the inventions of the Whetstone synthetic and mowers. Also missing sales territories after the 2nd World War.
The Wetzsteinmuseum, which calls back the past time in many original constructions, created in the " grinding mill ".
In Unterammergau there are about 20 different clubs.
The largest sports club is the WSV Unterammergau, has produced several well-known sledders and skiers. In addition to the winter disciplines of Alpine Skiing, Nordic skiing and sledding, the club also has departments for football and gymnastics. Another sports club is the curling club EC Unterammergau
The theater club and music club with his brass band provide the culture, the people and the Trachtenverein Schützengesellschaft Ammertaler maintain the tradition. Volunteer firefighters and mountain rescue readiness to provide security.
On the last Sunday in October, the Leonhardiritt takes place to Kappel church. In festive attire and colorfully decorated horses pulling a procession, accompanied by the sounds of the bands from the environment to the Sanctuary. 122
Already since 1910, draw members of the marching band Oberammergau on 30 December to Neujahrsanblasen through the town, keep doing maintenance and wish with a serenade the residents a Happy New Year. As a reward, players receive a donation.
Since 2000, past rustic crafts will be recalled in a Peasant Nostalgietag. Come to the demonstration include: churning, hay, peening, mowing, threshing, etc. In addition, old appliances or machines are shown and their use is demonstrated.
Moore dot the landscape in the valleys of the Oberammergau Alps. The powder moss between Unterammergau and Oberammergau is since 1982: 30, 31 nature reserves. It is a fen. Some raised bog sites are easy to recognize for the hiker. Also the Kochel felt between Unterammergau and Altenau since 1987: a nature reserve 31.