Uxbridge tube station
Uxbridge is an aboveground station London Underground in the London Borough of Hillingdon. It is located in the Travelcard Zone 6, on the High Street in the town center of Uxbridge. The station was used in 2011 of 6.91 million passengers. She is one of four western end stations of the Metropolitan Line and the North- western terminus of the Piccadilly Line.
On 4 July 1904, the Metropolitan Railway ( predecessor company of the Metropolitan Line ) opened the distance between Harrow-on- the-Hill and Uxbridge. The first trains were steam locomotives, but half a year later, the electrical equipment was taken. As of March 1, 1910 and the Metropolitan District Railway trains drove (now the District Line ) to Uxbridge; those of the Piccadilly Line broke it off on 23 October 1933.
The first stop was about 250 meters northeast of the present location at Belmont Road. For this reason, the management decided by London Underground to transfer them to a convenient location situated in the center of Uxbridge. The new, designed by Charles Holden station building on the High Street was opened on 4 December 1938 at the Art Deco style. The front of the built in red brick building is flanked by two statues of the artist Joseph Armitage, represent the stylized wings wheels. A high concrete roof with clerestory spans the tracks, the glass paintings are by Ervin Bossányi. Since 1983, the new station building is a listed building (Grade II). The old station building on the Belmont Road served for several decades as a grocery store and was finally demolished in 1985. Today there is the parking lot of a supermarket.