Baden IV e
The steam locomotives of Class IV e of the Baden State Railways were constructed from the Alsace Maschinenbau-Gesellschaft Grafenstaden, the 1894 and the first eight copies surrendered. They were the first locomotives with the wheel arrangement 2'C in Germany. Another 75 locomotives were built until 1901 by the Maschinenbau-Gesellschaft Karlsruhe.
The Baden IV s were procured especially for the high-speed and passenger train service on the steeply graded Black Forest Railway. This had become necessary because the locomotives previously used the genera IVb, IVc and IVd tender locomotives were no longer up to the task.
1914 were all machines in the inventory of the Baden State Railways. However, they were replaced as early as 1903 in the express train services through the d II and IV f. The German Reichsbahn took over in 1925 still 35 copies as Class 38.70; they received - after delivery series grouped - the operating points 38 7001-38 7007 38 7021-38 7025, 38 7031-38 7034, 38 7041-38 7046, 38 7061-38 7073 The machines were retired all until 1932.. Thirteen locomotives were delivered as war reparations to France, where they were classified as number 230 of the État. Two vehicles came to the Belgian SNCB and were given the series designation B 61
The 38 7001 was cut in September 1936 and served the Transport Museum Karlsruhe as a demonstration. During WW2 the museum was destroyed by fire and the 38 7001 was destroyed.
Despite the technical shortcomings of the running Grafenstadener outer frame bogie locomotive had a remarkable smoothness. The locomotive had a riveted sheet metal inner frame. The coupled wheel sets had springs below the axle bearings that were not connected by compensating lever.
An equally innovative for Germany feature of the IV s was their four-cylinder compound engine of the type de Glehn, which was first applied to a locomotive with three coupled axles. The Alsace Maschinenbau-Gesellschaft had previously four-coupled locomotives with De - Glehn engine built - especially for the French Northern Railway. The IVe very similar machines it delivered soon after Prussia ( genus P 7 ), to the Imperial Railways in Alsace-Lorraine ( genus P 7 and S 9 ), to which most of the French Railways, as well as Belgium, Spain and Portugal.
The high-pressure cylinders were worked out and the second Kuppelradsatz while the inner low-pressure cylinder acted on the first dome axis. The pairs of cylinders were slightly inclined.
The composite engine was chosen to strike a balance between necessary during the ascent high tensile forces with small wheel diameters and when going downhill to reducing inertia forces due to large wheel diameter. The low-pressure and high-pressure machine could be controlled separately. This allowed an improved starting. On trial runs on the lines with a slope of 17.6 ‰ a power 581-636 PSi was measured at 30 km / h. The maximum values were 778-811 PSi. With a 250 -ton train 75 km / h were achieved in the plane and on a slope distance of 10 ‰ or 40 km / h
The vehicles were with Tender senders of the Baden types 3 T 13.5, T 14 and bad bad 3 2'2 'T 15 is equipped.