Life and work
Williams received double bass and drum lessons from his father. He came in 1959 in Jimmy Heath 'Band ( with Sam Dockery and Specs Wright) and worked from 1960 to 1961 with Gene Ammons and Sonny Stitt. He then took courses in composition, harmony and music theory at Combs College of Music in Philadelphia and accompanied by performances by Gerald Price Trio singers Dakota Staton ( 1961-62 ), Betty Carter ( 1962-63 ), Sarah Vaughan (1963) and Nancy Wilson ( 1964-68 ), with whom he moved to Los Angeles. There he took on with the Jazz Crusaders and Miles Davis and worked with Kenny Dorham and the Bobby Hutcherson / Harold Land Quintet.
After his return to New York in 1969 he became a member of the band of Herbie Hancock and was involved until 1972 on all their shots, as well as Bennie Maupin on ECM album The Jewel in the Lotus (1974). He also worked with Art Blakey, Herbie Mann, Mary Lou Williams and the group of Eddie Henderson. In the following years, Williams recorded a number of albums as a leader and was nominated in 1980 for his involvement in the album Love For Sale ( with Hank Jones and Tony Williams) for a Grammy. With Ron Carter and the London Symphony Orchestra, he recorded the soundtrack for the film Le Choix des armes.
In the early 1980s he worked with Herbie Hancock, Tony Williams and Wynton Marsalis, and (until 1995 ) in a trio with Hancock and Al Foster. In 1989 he released an album of his own compositions ( Something More ) on which Hancock, Foster, trumpeter Shunzo Ono and Wayne Shorter had some. In 1991 he received a commission to compose a work for jazz quintet, strings and choir.
He was then a member of the quartet Sphere ( with Kenny Barron, Ben Riley and Charlie Rouse ), founded his own quintet ( Something More ), with whom he toured Europe, Japan and Australia, and took part in the Moscow Jazz Festival, and came to the group The Timeless Allstars ( with Cedar Walton, Billy Higgins, Curtis Fuller, Harold Land and Bobby Hutcherson ). In 1998, he participated in Geri Allen's album The Gathering.
Disco printing specifications
- Pinnacle with Sonny Fortune, Guilherme Franco, Allan Gumbs Onaje, Billy Hart, Suzanne Klewan, Woody Shaw, Earl Turbinton, 1975
- Crystal Reflections with Roy Ayers, Kenny Barron, Billy Hart, Nobu Horushiyama, Suzanne Klewan, Jimmy Rowles, 1976
- Tokudo with Kenny Barron, Ben Riley, 1978
- Heartbeat with Kenny Barron, Gayle Dixon, Pat Dixon, Billy Hart, Suzanne Klewan, Ben Riley, 1978
- Dreams Come True with Kenny Barron, John Blake, Lloyd Carter, Hank Crawford, Akua Dixon, Gayle Dixon, Eddie Drennon, Carl Ector, Terri Gonzalez, Allan Gumbs Onaje, Billy Hart, Eddie Henderson, Nobu Horushiyama, Clarissa Howell, Curtis Rance King, Jr., Ulysses Kirksey, Hubert Laws, Ronald Lipscomb, Ben Riley, Melvin Roundtree, Darryl Tookes, 1978
- Something More with Al Foster, Herbie Hancock, Shunzo Ohno, Wayne Shorter, 1989
- Piano Man with Billy Higgins, Hilton Ruiz, 1994
- Somewhere Along the Way with Gary Bartz, Stefon Harris, Carlos McKinney, Lenny White, 1998
- Houdini with Geri Allen, Lenny White, 2001
- Griot Liberte with George Colligan, Stefon Harris, Lenny White, 2004