Cooperstown (New York)
Cooperstown is a small town in the U.S. state of New York. The city had in 2000 a population of 2032 and an area of 4.1 km ². Cooperstown is the county seat of Otsego County and is located on the south end of Otsego Lake. Near the city one of the two source rivers of the Susquehanna River leaves the lake.
Since 1812 the majority (western part ) is the city part of the " Town" Otsego; the rest (eastern part ) belongs to the " Town" Middlefield. The city has strict building regulations to preserve the historic appearance. In Cooperstown is the Baseball Hall of Fame was founded in 1939.
1782 acquired Judge William Cooper, the father of writer James Fenimore Cooper, the area on the southern Otsego Lake and founded in the wake of the city. It was named after its founder. James Fenimore Cooper, known for his Leatherstocking novels, lived there for some time and died in the city. The area around Otsego Lake was Handlungsort in two of the novels.
1939 Baseball Hall of Fame was founded, as you erroneously assumed the baseball would have been 1838/39 invented by Abner Doubleday in a cow pasture near the city within the city.
Another attraction of the city is the "Farmer Museum ", which includes two dozen buildings and 23,000 exhibits. The site was acquired in 1813 by James Fenimore Cooper and operated as a farm. Around 1870, it was about family in the possession of the Clark. In 1944 the museum was opened next to the exhibits on the history of the farm economy, it is also dedicated to the history of Otsego County. Connected to the farmer the museum since 1939, based in the city, " Fenimore Art Museum ", which contains collections of American paintings, Native American art, American folk art and American Photography. The " New York State Historical Association Library " with a collection of historical documents on the history of the state of New York is also based in the city since 1944.
Eight miles north of the town is the Alice Busch Opera Theater, which hosts the Glimmerglass Festival in the summer, which is the second largest summer opera festival in the United States. Founded in 1975, the festival; it initially took place in the auditorium of Cooperstown High School. In 1987 the Opera House was opened.
In 1997, the city in the Susquehanna Valley was four miles south founded the Brewery Ommegang. It is located on the site of a former hops farm and brews beer under Belgian model. The brewery grew rapidly and was sold to the Belgian brewery Duvel 2003. The brewery can be toured.
Since 1856 a Edward Clark, a founder of the Singer Sewing Machine Company (Singer Sewing Machines), his wife Caroline Jordan came from the city, plots in Cooperstown and the surrounding area. He was in the city 's first hospital and build the Kingfisher Tower near her. His son, Alfred Corning Clark, built 1888-1891, the first sports hall in Cooperstown, which was demolished in 1930 and 1980 by other members of the family and rebuilt. The grandson Stephen Carlton Clark was president of the Baseball Hall of Fame; He was instrumental in the establishment of the above mentioned museums. Even today, the Clark family is located in Cooperstown, and occurs as a benefactor of the city.
The movie " A League of Their " with Tom Hanks, Geena Davis and Madonna from 1992, the story of two baseball -playing sisters during the Second World War, was partially filmed in the city. Even parts of the movie " Cooperstown - On the streets of Remembrance" with Josh Charles and Graham Greene in 1993, about a baseball player, playing in the city. A literary memorial Lauren Groff of the city in her novel "The Monsters of Templeton ".