De La Soul
- David Jew Jolicoeur (aka Trugoy the Dove, Dave, Plug Two)
- Vincent Mason (aka Pasemaster Mase, Maseo, Plug Three)
De La Soul is an American hip hop group consisting of rappers Kelvin Mercer ( born August 17, 1969), David J. Jolicoeur ( born September 21, 1968) and Vincent Mason ( born March 27, 1970) is.
Along with bands like A Tribe Called Quest and the Jungle Brothers formed De La Soul the late 80s and early 90s, the group of Native Tongue Family, a move that took the then usual Gangsta and Ghetto lyrics dealt with social issues and on a friendly image set. It was called No School and / or Next School.
The music of their debut album produced by Prince Paul Three Feet High and Rising was dominated by samples from jazz ( jazz rap), rock and even country, the game with a hippiesken aesthetics and sometimes quite peculiar humor. For example, the title of the panel was borrowed from a song by Johnny Cash. The single from the Me, Myself and I became a hit worldwide.
Later, the band parted from Prince Paul and produced either by itself or worked (including J Dilla ) with changing producer, which was reflected in the significantly more common instrumentals. Nevertheless, each album was a commercial success with influence on the scene of the alternative hip hop.
- 2003: Timeless: The Singles Collection
- 2004: De La Mix Tape: Remixes, Rarities and Classics
- 2006: The Impossible: Mission TV Series - Pt. 1
- 2009: Are You In? Nike Original Run