The media control GfK ® charts are weekly music charts for Germany, which are determined by Media Control. In addition to the top 100 singles and album charts disaggregated charts are also available for other media and by musical style.
- 2.1 Collection of Charts
- 2.2 Qualification rules for record sales
- 5.1 Album Charts
- 5.2 Single Charts 5.2.1 singles that were represented at least 1 year in the Top 100 of the German Singles Charts
History and developments
Charts are available in Germany since the end of 1953, when the jukebox from the U.S. came to Germany. The magazine The vending market published each month a list of the most popular boxing - hit. The first publication of this kind had the title it depends a horse collar on the wall of the Kilima Hawaiians than boxing hit the month of December 1953. This title was thus the first number 1 in the German chart history.
Over the years, the vending market remained the only institution that the success of songs in the form of chart lists reproduced in Germany on a monthly basis in the amount of usually 30 squares. In June 1959, the music market started such a business. This appears also monthly charts were more sophisticated, as they not only subjected to the jukebox success rate, but also the music sales, the airplay - use and the sound carrier, therefore, had record sales. The first number 1 in the charts music market was in June 1959, the title The guitar and the sea by Freddy Quinn. This title was at the same time also number 1 in the market for vending machines.
The boxes charts ran the music market charts in the shortest possible time from the rank and assumed the role of official German chart organ. Had the music market hit parade 1959 still a strongly fluctuating amount (20 to 70 seats), then every month, appeared in early 1960 quite consistently on the 15th with the magazine in the amount of usually 50 seats (sometimes a few more, up to 54 were before ). At the beginning of 1965, the scope was reduced to 40 seats, but also the chart poster that hung in the record shop appeared the hit parade, which is now based on the pure record sales, twice monthly on the 1st and the 15th since that time there be. At the beginning of 1971, the music market on weekly appearance to ( every Monday ) and increased the scope back to 50 seats. The determination of these weekly Top 50 was broadcast from September 1977, the company Media Control, which is still in charge today.
As of January 1980, the charts had 75 seats, in August 1989 was extended to the still valid today circumference of 100 seats. Not only is the sale of records, but also the radio insert the title was 1989-2001 for places 51 to 100 used. In early 1997, also a restrictive clause was introduced, the 100 allows the bottom half of the top, only a limited residence time for the chart title. Here, a title was canceled after nine weeks in the charts and no later than two weeks after leaving the top 50. In March 2010 (issue of 19 March ), this threshold was abolished.
Since January 2001, sales of online CD retailers like Amazon.de, and since July 2002, music videos ( DVD, VHS) are miteinberechnet in the calculation of the single and album top 100. As of September 2004 provided the digital downloads of shops were such as the iTunes Store included in the evaluation of the single charts with and used for the determination of the newly introduced download charts. Requirement was that the download song was available as a physical single.
Until October 2005, respectively, sales week from Monday to Sunday was evaluated. Then the date for new releases has been brought forward to Friday, to have new releases at the beginning of high-volume weekend on the market. According to the evaluation period of the charts has been postponed to Friday to Friday. The official date of the charts since then no more Monday, but Friday.
Since 13 July 2007, the evaluations were converted to so-called value charts. For the chart position is no longer as before, the number of records sold and Downloads decisive, but the turnover of a product ( value ). At number one on the hit parade is therefore not necessarily the best-selling song or album, but one that has been issued for the most money. This reduces the dependency on special offers and promotions of big chain stores and online shops. The move away from the sales figures laying down the charts listing is unique worldwide. For this, the requirement was deleted, that singles had to be released as a CD single for inclusion in the charts, so it also called digital -only releases are recorded. The recording of digital downloads in the album charts was in 2009.
After the music streaming in 2013 celebrated his breakthrough and was included by Billboard in the U.S. singles chart, it was included with the initial evaluation for the year 2014 in the chart calculation in Germany. In the official charts only the so-called premium streams are counted, so song calls for the individual, the customer pays directly or via PC. Ad-supported platforms like YouTube are not considered.
Unlike in some other countries, the official date of the German charts is not identical to the period in which the sales of songs and albums are evaluated. By 2005 the collection period ended on Sunday, and the charts were exactly eight days later released on Monday. There is therefore a more complete sales week between evaluation and expiration date of the charts. In 2005, the periods have been brought forward to Friday to Thursday, the official chart date is thus ever since a Friday. This used to be due to the fact that data collection by mail and telephone and chart calculation accordingly took a lot of time. With the development of electronic data processing and transmission ever faster and more accurate evaluations were possible to the official date but was not adjusted. However, the charting is completed as early as the Monday following the sale week and first details will be published on Mondays or Tuesdays. The new lists are published in advance on a fee- side media control GfK ® or in the magazine music market. As of Friday afternoon, when the new charts are formally valid, it is also partly from online retailers and music channels ( MTV, VIVA ) published on the internet free ( in albums but not more than the top 50 ).
Collection of Charts
The survey carried out on behalf of the Federation of the music industry and is carried out by the company Media Control GfK International. Media Control GfK ® also carries the publishing rights and markets. The most important are published in industry magazines " Music Week " and " The music market ".
In its introduction, the charts were created on the sales volume of discs. However, the investigation changed over time and is constantly adapted to current conditions. Among the factors that change include the implementation of the survey, the subdivision of the charts in different genres and the indicators that are included in the score with.
Previously, the pieces sold were counted, but today is the basis of the Euro - sales of records sold within a week chart: cheap recordings must therefore sell more copies than more expensive in relative terms. The determination of dealer record sales since 1997 takes place exclusively by electronic means through the coverage introduced ordering system PhonoNet. Participating on the chart panel music stores must meet certain criteria, perform a representative width of the repertoire, for example. In 2007, the sales of about 3,000 points of sale ( " Outlets " ) will be considered. Thus, the chart panel approaches a statistically complete survey. To prevent possible manipulation, there is a control mechanism that reports flashy sales. Among other statistically observed how evenly distributed the sales of a title on all participating businesses: sell individual traders disproportionate amount ( for example, through special sales promotions ), the numbers are adjusted under certain circumstances to such " action sales ". This also affects other promotions, for example, if in the context of recorded music concerts are sold and that transaction is reported to the Panel. These rules and calculations are all non-public, to prevent tampering.
Most of 2008, 5000 weekly sales of physical singles ranged nationwide to achieve top ranks of the top 10 singles chart. For the top 100 rich, according to Manfred Gillig - Degrave, chief editor of the trade magazine Music Week in bad weeks already " three-digit numbers " (here again Downloads not counted).
Qualification rules for record sales
This CD can be included in the chart standings, title ( larger dealers or summaries of smaller retailers) must be sold at several dealer groups. To exclude cheap CD sales from the rating, the CDs had a certain price limit exceeded (for example, 8.50 euros for an album ). With the conversion to sales-related chart investigation in July 2007 accounted for this minimum price limit.
In September 2004, the top 20 music downloads charts were collected for the first time. This uses the music - download sales from iTunes, musicload, AOL and other providers. In the meantime, download sales via mobile phones are included (eg Vodafone). Overall, media control GfK ® sales figures of 18 Download dealers be published, leaving a market coverage of 95 percent is achieved. Media Control GfK surveys ® additionally the top 100 singles download charts and Top 20 music downloads charts.
The download charts are part of the official sales charts and their importance has increased steadily since the beginning of the recording. In the singles have come to dominate the download sales and 2010, the share of digital song downloads was 85%. In the albums, however, continues to dominate the CD, here is the download sales had a share of only 21%.
Other official charts
In addition to the Top 100 singles chart, the Top 100 album chart and the top 30 compilation charts can the Federation of the Phonographic Industry Association determine
- The official German Dance Charts (Official Dance Charts, ODC 50)
- The top 20 classical charts ( albums, since 1994),
- The top 30 jazz charts (since 2006),
- The top 10 comedy charts (since 2008),
- Top 20 Independent Charts,
- The top 100 streaming charts (since 2012),
- The top 20 German Schlager ( since 2001).
The Airplay charts were introduced in 1977 along with the sales charts and determined by Media Control. From 2004 to 2013 they were charged by the media control ® spun-off company Nielsen Music Control. Since 2013 MusicDNA is the official provider.
Trend charts like the Germans Black Charts, German Dance Charts or the German Alternative Charts are sold by Public Music & Media Ltd.. created and marketed. They do not reflect real sales figures, but are using, determined by selected and classified according to Nielsen DJs and major trend - dealers at the DCRC important Leftfield and college radio editors.
Special features and special achievements in chart history
- Shortly after his death on June 25, 2009 was Michael Jackson with the albums " King of Pop" and "Thriller " at the top of the German album charts. In the "Top 10 " followed by " Number Ones " at number seven, and "Bad" over nine two other Jackson albums. Overall, first -placed nine albums in the " Top 100 " in the following weeks were even fourteen of his albums represented in the German album charts. It occupied the published on 17 July 2009 Album Charts six albums by Michael Jackson, the first six places, two more albums landed in the squares 8 and 9 in the singles charts Jackson also reached a novelty, when 24 of his titles in the were able to place "Top 100"; the song "Thriller" placed himself in ninth best in the "Top 20" continue to follow the song " Earth Song " at 12, " Beat It " on 14 and "Billie Jean " at the 18th
- The German R & B singer Xavier Naidoo managed during the week of October 10, 2008, to place seven of his songs in the top 100: "This has not yet seen the world " (with Söhne Mannheims ) ( 8th place), " And when A Song "(with Söhne Mannheims ) ( number 61 ), " I Have Nothing "(with RZA ) ( No. 72 ), " Go of Off "( number 76 ) ( with Söhne Mannheims ), " goodbye "(No. 78), " What We Do not work alone " (No. 82) and "Where are you going? " (No. 92).
- The German singer Lena Meyer- Landrut, who won the contest Unser Star für Oslo in March 2010, shortly after this victory with their first three titles to publish a remarkable sales record. As the first performer in the history of the German singles chart, she succeeded with the song " Satellite" (No. 1 ), " Bee " (No. 3) and " Love Me " (No. 4) at first three titles in the "Top 5 to place. " During the week of March 4, 2011, it also managed to Lena Meyer -Landrut to place yourself right away with five of her songs in the top 100.
- In September 2011, nine singles of the French DJ David Guetta were the same position in the German single charts. These were the three single releases of the album Nothing but the Beat, Little Bad Girl feat. Taio Cruz and Ludacris ( 16th place), Sweat vs. Snoop Dogg ( 27th place ) and Where Them Girls At feat. Nicki Minaj and Flo Rida ( No. 31 ), as well as the album tracks Titanium feat. Sia (8th place ), Without You feat. Usher ( 12th place), Night of Your Life feat. Jennifer Hudson ( # 21 ), Turn Me On feat. Nicki Minaj ( No. 35 ), Crank It Up feat. Akon ( No. 43 ) and I Can Only Imagine feat. Chris Brown and Lil Wayne ( No. 72 ). The newly named album debuted in the same week at # 2 in the German album charts.
- The American artist Madonna carries the record for the most singles on the charts, Madonna had in the course of her career total of 60 singles on the charts. Followed it is of the singer Peter Alexander with 59 hits.
Singles that were represented at least 1 year in the Top 100 of the German Singles Charts
Currently (as of November 22, 2013 ) managed to be recorded since 1959 long 73 items at least 52 weeks. The following titles were able to at least 70 weeks to place in the charts (the year refers to the first entry in the charts ). Of these, at least one week were only six listed at # 1. With 129 chart weeks of the title Sky and Sand by Paul & Fritz Kalkbrenner has been quoted most often to date.
Previously, such an " evergreen" very rare in the age of downloads, where singles are no longer dependent on a physical equivalent to charters to, they are more common. The frequent occurrence of " evergreens " is also favored by abolishing old chart rules by which certain earlier songs were excluded after some time off the charts.
Artists who occupied first place in the single and album charts simultaneously
Chart reports based on media control GfK ®
The following chart lists are based on data from the media control GfK ®.
- List of number-one hits in Germany
- List of number-one albums in Germany
- List of number-one albums in the German pop charts
- List of top 10 albums in Germany
- List of top 10 singles in Germany