Exposition Universelle (1878)
Palais du Champ de Mars and the head of the Statue of Liberty
The 1878 Universal Exhibition in Paris (fr: Exposition universelle de 1878) took place between 1 May 1878 to 31 October in 1878 on the Champ de Mars ( Field of Mars ) and the Chaillot Hill instead.
The 77 -acre exhibition site was built in just 19 months for the national and international showcase after the defeat of 1870/71 quickly established the resurgent France. The number of visitors was 16 million people. A total of 52 835 exhibitors participated. The German Empire was not represented at the show, Austria - Hungary does. As new products were, inter alia, an ice machine and electric light introduced.
The architect Gabriel Davioud and the engineer Jules Bourdais erected on the occasion of the world exhibition, the Palais du Trocadéro, which had in 1937 the Palais de Chaillot soft. A part of the sculptural jewelery of the Trocadéro is found today at the Musée d' Orsay erected the famous concert organ was the organ of the Auditorium Maurice Ravel. In the large concert hall of the Trocadero, the festive receptions the World's Fair took place.
The huge rectangular Exhibition Hall on the Campus Martius (Palais de l'Exposition or Palais de fer ) pointed to 420,000 m² of floor space, the exhibits of the participating nations. Among the attractions of the exhibition included a large aquarium, a powerful balloon and the head of the Statue of Liberty by Frederic Auguste Bartholdi.
The Cemetery Spring Grove Cemetery embodied because of its modern landscape design by Adolph Strauch, a noted attraction and had been asked in the preparation of the exhibition is the only of its kind to participate.
Antoni Gaudí - just completed the Architekturstudieum - a display cabinet for the Esteban Comella glove factory designed for this exhibition, which arouses the interest of industrialist Eusebi Güell i Bacigalupi.
Main entrance to the Palais du Champ de Mars
Palais du Trocadéro
Tethered balloon in the Jardin des Tuileries
Head of the Statue of Liberty
Freshwater aquarium in the park of Trocadéro